Author Topic: Just wondering  (Read 14158 times)

Offline muppetlol

Just wondering
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
After installing the trial for Avast Internet Security , I went to my email to download the license. I opened the license and it activated. Then a windows pop out and say : encounter invalid argument.  Or something like that. But the license is still activated. So is there anything I need to be concerned of regarding the message of encounter argument?

I did this on my freshly installed windows.

ManyQs

Re: Just wondering
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:04:43 PM »
I think one of the tech advisors will want to know exactly which Windows OS you have, muppetlol.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »
What other anti-virus software did you have on your computer? Did your "freshly installed" Windows come with a prepackaged anti-virus? If it did use the vendors uninstall utility you will find the proper one here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/  :)

Also was your avast a "clean" install? What other security software do you have now or ever had? If uninstalled how was it uninstalled?
What are you using for a firewall? Too many questions remain before we can help you. We need more information.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline muppetlol

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »
I reinstalled Windows 7 but this time onto my SSD. I had avast earlier on my HDD but i reformatted everything and freshly re-installed Windows 7 onto my SSD.

Cause i bought a new SSD , thought it would be a wise idea to re-install OS to SSD and use HDD as my storage drive.

I set up everything , then downloaded avast onto my SSD , then when i put in the license it gave me the argument thing. The OEM disk does not have any antivirus , its just the microsoft disc since this computer is self-built.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »
Try installing AIS onto your HDD. You will still be able to scan the SSD from the HDD.
Personally I would use the HDD as my primary drive and the SSD as a storage drive.  :)

edit: You wouldn't happen to have SpyBot S&D installed would you? If you do turn off the tea timer.  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:05:05 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »
I would check event viewer to find more details regarding this error - encounter invalid argument.

Why would you do this? Please explain.
Personally I would use the HDD as my primary drive and the SSD as a storage drive.  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:36:03 PM by Charyb »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
Using the HDD just makes more sense. Correct me if I'm wrong but a SSD is nothing more than an oversized USB drive.
Computers have a HDD for a reason. I just prefer to use the HDD.  :)

Broken Hope

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 06:09:26 PM »
Using the HDD just makes more sense. Correct me if I'm wrong but a SSD is nothing more than an oversized USB drive.

You're wrong, SSD's are super fast storage that are replacing HDD's, I actually don't have any mecanical drives left in my system and would never go back to a normal HDD.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »

Yes, you are wrong.

The whole point of SDD is that they remove the mechanical action of having to flit between the various sectors that the data you are after might be written on. Disk fragmentation means that the read heads will have to be moving to different sectors to retrieve the data.

Since there is no mechanical interaction on SDDs any fragmentation makes no difference as the data is retrieve almost instantly from the SDD. So you shouldn't defrag an SDD.

For that reason the SDD should be the primary drive with the OS (at the very least) and installed programs on it. This greatly improves boot times and program loading. If you don't have a secondary SDD then the HDD would be for data files and your backups of the primary SDD.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »
People, I was making the point in reference to the OP's request. As the OP stated he/she has a HDD. The point of this thread is to assist the OP and not have an debate. I was just saying if you have a HDD...use it. I have no problem using a SSD if that is installed in the machine. If it was me I would remove the HDD and go with the SSD.  :)

I think Charyb has an idea going with his event viewer question. And I think I know where it's leading, but I'm not sure.  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »
The point of this topic also includes SDDs as the OP also has one of those.

I reinstalled Windows 7 but this time onto my SSD. I had avast earlier on my HDD but i reformatted everything and freshly re-installed Windows 7 onto my SSD.

Cause i bought a new SSD , thought it would be a wise idea to re-install OS to SSD and use HDD as my storage drive.

I set up everything , then downloaded avast onto my SSD , then when i put in the license it gave me the argument thing. The OEM disk does not have any antivirus , its just the microsoft disc since this computer is self-built.

We were also responding to your comment:
Quote from: Para-Noid
Correct me if I'm wrong but a SSD is nothing more than an oversized USB drive.
Computers have a HDD for a reason.

And we did.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
This is my last post for now...I will agree to disagree. I will concede there are advantages to having a SSD.
But I still maintain that computers come with a HDD for a reason.  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
But I still maintain that computers come with a HDD for a reason.  :)

Sure, but SSD is the 'new' HDD. (Some machines only have a SSD..!!)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Nesivos

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »

Yes, you are wrong.

The whole point of SDD is that they remove the mechanical action of having to flit between the various sectors that the data you are after might be written on. Disk fragmentation means that the read heads will have to be moving to different sectors to retrieve the data.

Since there is no mechanical interaction on SDDs any fragmentation makes no difference as the data is retrieve almost instantly from the SDD. So you shouldn't defrag an SDD.

For that reason the SDD should be the primary drive with the OS (at the very least) and installed programs on it. This greatly improves boot times and program loading. If you don't have a secondary SDD then the HDD would be for data files and your backups of the primary SDD.

True however you shold make sure that the "Trim" feature in Windows is enabled.

Step 2 – Make sure that TRIM is enabled

Four Steps to Optimize Your SSD

Step #2 - While Windows 7 officially supports TRIM, there have been cases in which it’s not enabled (or maybe not supported). To see if TRIM is enabled, open up a command prompt by clicking on the Start orb and typing “cmd” into the search bar.

http://blog.tune-up.com/tips-and-tricks/four-steps-to-optimize-your-ssd/

more here from ZDNet
Windows 7 and SSDs: Setup secrets and tune-up tweaks

A third-party utility, CrystalDiskInfo, confirmed that this disk did not offer support for the TRIM command, which is one of the key requirements for proper SSD operation. (Using the TRIM command allows the system to properly erase blocks of data in the background; for an explanation, see this excellent article by Anand.) Windows 7 supports the TRIM command natively; earlier Windows versions don’t.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-setup-secrets-and-tune-up-tweaks/2910

Another reason to dump XP :o

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »
What about the OP? I do hope this OT didn't scare him/her away.
If I remember right they had an avast issue.  :)