Author Topic: Remove panda activescan from XP?  (Read 8192 times)

intimidator

Remove panda activescan from XP?
« on: February 05, 2005, 06:08:08 PM »
At one point in time I tried that on-line Panda Activescan on XP home.  Now I want to remove all the pieces of that trash that were downloaded in order for activescan to run.  This includes the registry entires as well. From I have read this can be a difficult process.  I have no clue why their programmers did not conceal these signatures. 

I would like some help with this process since I no longer want to use panda activescan. 

Thanks for your help!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Remove panda activescan from XP?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 06:11:18 PM »
Just remove the files that Panda placed on your system.
Too my knowledge it doesn't changes the registry.
But you can ofcourse use a registry cleaner.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 06:12:59 PM »
I doubt that it is in add remove programs, but you can loacte and delete the folder on your HDD and run hijackthis, you will see an entry for panda's active scan, tick the box to fix it, that should remove the registry key/s.

See Eddy's Website click the "HiJackThis Section" and also the "Malware removal instructions and applications" section, and follow the directions there and get back to us if you need more help....
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lee16

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 06:18:17 PM »
The files Panda active scan adds to your pc are as follows:

IMSCAN.DLL
PAVDLL.DLL
PAV.SIG
APVXD.VX2
APVXD.VXD

--lee

intimidator

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 06:50:08 PM »
There are 23 files in the windows/system32/activescan folder.  So I guess if I just delete this folder then run HJT and check the box and click fix....that should be it, right?

I also found a symantec antivirus entry I guess for an online scanner.  I tried online symantec once but never installed NAV.  Is there some folder that needs deleted as well?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 07:16:05 PM »
If there is a reference to the NAV on-line scanner in HJT do the same with that, although I don't know if that creates folder items like panda.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jarmo P

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 08:31:51 PM »
From my experience Panda's online scan is a good one. It uses active-X, so only for the IE. I personally have no need to call it trash.
Or the need to remove it so deep.
Just remove the install folder if space is really limited on your HD.

Another one good to use is Trend Micro's online scan:
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

That one uses a Java trusted applet, so no active-x needed.
Works also in firefox etc. browsers.

As much as we trust Avast, it is always good to have a second hand check, and for that online scanners above are fine.

intimidator

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 02:32:35 AM »
From my experience Panda's online scan is a good one. It uses active-X, so only for the IE. I personally have no need to call it trash.

*****  Sorry David for using those harsh words....it is not trash...but I just want it off my system since I don't use it anymore.  Plus they do not make it very easy to remove which is very aggravating.   I don't use IE for anything except system updates.

Or the need to remove it so deep.

*****  The intall folder is the one with 23 files right?  I was just going to delete that and clear the single entry in the registry.....are there any other entries that need cleaning as well?

Another one good to use is Trend Micro's online scan:
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

***** I have been using this one for years....I like it much better than Panda.

That one uses a Java trusted applet, so no active-x needed.
Works also in firefox etc. browsers.

As much as we trust Avast, it is always good to have a second hand check, and for that online scanners above are fine.

*****  Agree.....no scanner will find everything.

Jarmo P

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 09:30:09 AM »

*****  The intall folder is the one with 23 files right?  I was just going to delete that and clear the single entry in the registry.....are there any other entries that need cleaning as well?

Opps, I mixed Trend Micro's Housecall. No idea where Activescan's folder is or if it exists. Sorry.