Author Topic: threat rootkit hidden file Error: Access is denied (5)  (Read 2869 times)

shipwell

threat rootkit hidden file Error: Access is denied (5)
« on: November 15, 2012, 02:08:16 AM »
I have 46 infrected files that I can't delete from a scan last night.  The results say high risk Rootkit hidden file delete, but when I do it comes up Error: Access is denied (5).

I have also done a boot scan and another full scan both of which are saying no virus found after the fact, so now I'm confused as it wouldn't let me delete them in the first place
I was going to copy the whole log in here but I don't know how as it wont let me rightclick and copy so advice on how to do this would be wonderful.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: threat rootkit hidden file Error: Access is denied (5)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:49:22 AM »
Without some information on the file names and locations (screenshot of the scan log) or copy and paste from the scan log text file (see below), no one can say why A) these might have been detected and crucially B) why they couldn't be dealt with (move to chest, etc.).

Deletion is not a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest (a protected area) and investigate.

Most of the log files are stored in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report (XP location) or C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report (Vista, win7 location). It depends on what the scan you did was called as to what file to look in for the information.

Edit: duplication of location.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:06:28 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security