Author Topic: Avast 8 and VBscript  (Read 3095 times)

T o m

Avast 8 and VBscript
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:50:42 AM »
Hi everybody !

I just want to know if the registry key content of

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

earlier reading on my machine as follows:

(Standard)    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AhAScr.dll
Default Engine    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll
ThreadingModel    REG_SZ    Both

is still necessary for Avast 8 free and its VBscripting protection.

Since this entry prevents VBscript from working on my system (Vista Ultimate 32bit), I changed it to

(Standard)    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll
Default Engine    REG_SZ    C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll
ThreadingModel    REG_SZ    Both

making VBscripts working again on my machine.

Since Avast 8 Installation process doesn't enter anything into this key, it seems Avast 8 doesn't rely to it anymore and VBscripting protection is handled different now under Avast 8, right ?

If not, what is the actual correct content of that InprocServer32 key now under Avast 8, just in case something got wrong during my installation ?

Any help and comments from the Avast crew appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

T o m

P.S.:

Interesting to see, that this registry entry seems to date back till Avast4 in 2004(!) - at least according to some user posts here in the forum (for example http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=2254.msg15927#msg15927   by Mike Dijkema).

Even aswclear.exe in its latest version doesn't care about removing these keys during deinstallation (despite the fact that it tells to have done so). And I tried aswclear.exe in safe mode in sequence for every Avast version accordingly with always rebooting between the individual runs - as recommended.

Maybe something to implement into the next version of aswclear.exe at least (or, into the deinstallation routines of the Avast package itself).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:10:29 PM by T o m »