Author Topic: IE 10 preview for Windows 7  (Read 33756 times)

Dch48

Re: IE 10 preview for Windows 7
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
Look at my screenshot--it says it only takes effect after the computer is restarted.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
Look at my screenshot--it says it only takes effect after the computer is restarted.
So it does, my mistake "sorry"

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
Restarted my computer and on the bottom of the IE10 page it showed "M86 secure browsing isn't compatible with enhanced protected mode and has been disabled."

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »
Restarted my computer and on the bottom of the IE10 page it showed "M86 secure browsing isn't compatible with enhanced protected mode and has been disabled."
If you had read the information posted earlier you would have seen that incompatible add-ons will be disabled, check the paragraph "Default Settings and Compatibility"  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2012/03/14/enhanced-protected-mode.aspx

Dch48

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »
Yes some addons are not compatible since they are 32 bit applications and the Enhanced Protection Mode forces IE 10 to run completely in 64 bit on a 64 bit system.  Without EPM turned on the browser runs as a 64 bit core but all of the tabs run as 32 bit for greater compatibility. Since M86 comes into play on all web pages you will probably have to turn off the Enhanced Protection if you want to keep using that addon. In the future there will probably be an update to the browser, or M86, or both that will allow it to run in Enhanced mode.

My personal opinion would be that the greater security of the Enhanced mode, especially in Win 8, is worth keeping more than that addon is. Some may not agree however. M86 is really just another form of WebRep. I tried it and found it so slow that I was clicking links in my Google searches long before the rating icons ever showed up. I got rid of it mainly because of that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:51:18 PM by Dch48 »

Dch48

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 12:24:45 AM »
One more thing. While I understand that IE 10 in Windows 8 uses it's own embedded Flash Player, the version for Win 7 is still using the regular ActiveX version that IE9 and earlier versions of the browser use. It is using the 64 bit player though by default if you have Enhanced Protection enabled.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 12:46:24 AM »
Yes some addons are not compatible since they are 32 bit applications and the Enhanced Protection Mode forces IE 10 to run completely in 64 bit on a 64 bit system.  Without EPM turned on the browser runs as a 64 bit core but all of the tabs run as 32 bit for greater compatibility. Since M86 comes into play on all web pages you will probably have to turn off the Enhanced Protection if you want to keep using that addon. In the future there will probably be an update to the browser, or M86, or both that will allow it to run in Enhanced mode.

My personal opinion would be that the greater security of the Enhanced mode, especially in Win 8, is worth keeping more than that addon is. Some may not agree however. M86 is really just another form of WebRep. I tried it and found it so slow that I was clicking links in my Google searches long before the rating icons ever showed up. I got rid of it mainly because of that.

I changed back to the default settings.   Before I installed IE10 I had the 32 bit now I don't.  Probably a dumb question but where did it go?  :-[

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 01:39:41 AM »
Somebody told me the IE10 scrollbars on Windows 7 looks like the scrollbars on windows 8..  Can anybody here confirm that it does or not? I really want to know sorta  ;D
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 02:04:48 AM »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Dch48

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 05:37:11 AM »

I changed back to the default settings.   Before I installed IE10 I had the 32 bit now I don't.  Probably a dumb question but where did it go?  :-[
IE 10 does not have a full 32 bit version like 9 does. If you install it in a 64 bit version of Windows, you get a 64 bit browser even if you manually select the Iexplore.exe file in the Program Files (X86) folder. However, without the Enhanced mode enabled, the tabs (pages) open in a 32 bit environment for greater compatibility with addons.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »

IE 10 does not have a full 32 bit version like 9 does. If you install it in a 64 bit version of Windows, you get a 64 bit browser even if you manually select the Iexplore.exe file in the Program Files (X86) folder. However, without the Enhanced mode enabled, the tabs (pages) open in a 32 bit environment for greater compatibility with addons.

In your opinion which Version of IE has the most protection?  I tried to get Abine tracking but can only get that on IE9.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 11:19:26 AM »
In your opinion which Version of IE has the most protection?  I tried to get Abine tracking but can only get that on IE9.
IE10 is more secure, I've got Abine tracking list installed here so it works and installs fine in IE10.

From within manage add-ons you click on get tracking protection and add the ones you want.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »
IE10 is more secure, I've got Abine tracking list installed here so it works and installs fine in IE10.

From within manage add-ons you click on get tracking protection and add the ones you want.

Whenever I try to get Abine trackine it take me to the download for IE9.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »
Whenever I try to get Abine trackine it take me to the download for IE9.
It might have something to do with you being on windows 7 and running the IE10 preview ???

It works fine for me on win7 IE9 and win8 IE10.

Hermite15

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
FYI...................Its called "Ad Blocking". Not Add. Thanks. IT still lacks customization which makes FF and Chrome so much better and more secure.

Its a free world and this is an open forum which means people are title to there opinions. IE lacks add ons especially an ad blocker.

... then FYI, it's entitled and it's their  ::)