Author Topic: [Wishlist] For avast! 8 - Suggestions and discussion  (Read 120758 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: [Wishlist] For avast! 8 - Suggestions and discussion
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »
Only thing that i want for avast! 8 is that Auto Sandbox behavior analysis will actually ever detect anything and for Behavior Shield to actually detect malicious behavior (opposed to not detecting anything now). Everything else can be exactly the same as in avast! 7 for all i care.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:25:13 AM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

true indian

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 10:43:42 AM »
<snip>  Win8 <snip>

You meant avast! v8,right??  ;D and +2 on that wish you made..  8)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »
Donno why i wrote Win8... Everything is using 8 these days...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 12:57:37 PM »
I would like to see an option (configurable via the GUI) to delay a virus database update on the system boot (5 minutes or so).
+1
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
I would like to see an option (configurable via the GUI) to delay a virus database update on the system boot (5 minutes or so).

Whilst in most cases it isn't an issue, but for older systems or those with limited resources the update process can place a heavy load on the system.

If I had a £1 for every post I have made showing how to modify the avast5.ini file to delay the initial update check, it would be a very good Christmas present.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
If I had a £1 for every post I have made showing how to modify the avast5.ini file to delay the initial update check, it would be a very good Christmas present.
We need to keep trying to make them to listen us. Thanks David.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 10:11:33 PM »
Hi Tech,

On my wishlist there would be a avast file threat checker as part of the new avast av solution.
What this would look like?
Upload a file to check it against a known clean hash or file certificate.
So you upload the sample, say an executable. You see the unique hash and the file safety rate.
The particulars on that executable will open up in your main browser page,
like file filename, application, background task,  company, last known update, file classification, risk,
safety to execute (need the avast sandbox or not), information about stabilty of the process. file version,
user feedback... the tool should be updated as new info becomes available....

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 11:03:20 PM »
Upload a file to check it against a known clean hash or file certificate.
Isn't it checked by FileRep this way?

The particulars on that executable will open up in your main browser page,
like file filename, application, background task,  company, last known update, file classification, risk,
safety to execute (need the avast sandbox or not), information about stabilty of the process. file version,
user feedback... the tool should be updated as new info becomes available....
Well, it won't be bad as an advanced tool, like virustotal app in the PC. But, only malware fighters will be happy with it... Don't you think?

asl970

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 11:10:34 PM »
i want to ask if it possible to add a bar to change the speed/system resources use when the scanning like the AVG 'scan process priority' because i can't really use my laptop when i am doing a full pc scan.
It's already there. ;) Full Scan -> Details -> Settings
but the amount of resources can't be change during scanning,
it would be better if it is possible to change during scan like for example: when i am doing other things like homework i can change it to maximum speed and when i using my laptop, i can change it back to minimum speed instead of pausing it.

note: i reposting this here because it a much better place to post.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 12:22:10 AM »
I honestly can see why this is an issue.

Why start off a scan if you are going to do your homework; if you insist on doing this, either modify the scan settings or create a custom scan with the restriction and run that. Better yet why not schedule it for a time that your system will be on but not heavily in use.

I can start a Quick or Full System Scan (with enhanced performance) and still continue normal working without it being a resource issue.

One thing that you don't mention (in any of your posts) is your system spec to give us an idea of why this might even be an issue. If you are that low on resources then I would suggest the creation of a custom 'Homework Scan' and kick that off if you are going to be doing your homework.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

asl970

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 01:17:12 AM »
well, do you know about the AVG 'scan process priority'? it look like this

it can change from fast (high resources needed) to slow (low resources needed) during scan,
if i run a full scan with high scan priority, it would take about 4 hours,
if i run a full scan with low scan priority, it would take a LOT longer,
but if i am able to change the scan priority during scan, i would be able to do my work by switching it to low scan priority
and set it back to high scan priority when i am taking a quick break and leave it at high scan priority when i am done with my work.
it not really a issue but it will make the scan faster then if i start it at low scan priority and can't change it to high scan priority during scan.
(this is also why some people still use avg when it bloated, it because of the ability to change the speed of the scan during scan).
btw, does this forum use spoiler box? can't find how to use it here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:19:02 AM by asl970 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 01:36:57 AM »
But why re-engineer something when there is absolutely no need, as I said "either modify the scan settings or create a custom scan with the restriction and run that. Better yet why not schedule it for a time that your system will be on but not heavily in use."

Why run a Full System Scan a Quick scan is more than adequate as it covers the more at risk areas and files more at risk. Doing a Full System Scan is just going to cover other areas/files at a lessor risk of infection.

- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. If for some reason my system wasn't on, no big deal I will catch up on the next scheduled scan.

Nesivos

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 01:37:10 AM »
I would like to see the latest virus definition number show up when you mouse over the orange ball and when you tap on the orange ball? on a touch screen.

ardi_sugianto

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 02:08:49 AM »
i just want option for "automatic shutdown after scan finished"  :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 02:18:02 AM »
Yeah, it would be useful.Nesivos.
Ardi, it is already there.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:19:51 AM by Tech »