Author Topic: Avast/Comodo and behavior shield  (Read 19744 times)

n01clueless

Avast/Comodo and behavior shield
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »
I read on another tech site (not here) that, if using Avast free with Comodo Firewall with Defense+ enabled, that Avast's behavior shield should be disabled to avoid possible conflicts. Any views on this would be appreciated.

iroc9555

Re: Avast/Comodo and behavior shield
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:47:17 PM »
If you are running Windows 7 make sure you got CIS 5.12 ( Firewall and D+ only. No AV ) to have complete control on your outbound connections. Also decide which Autosandbox or Sandbox you want to have active.

Both, Avast! Behavior Shield and Comodo D+ play well with these exclusions

In Avast!:

Open Avast! > REAL-TIME SHIELDS > File System Shields > Expert Settings > Exclusions > Add > Browse:

C:\Program files\COMODO\*

In > REAL-TIME SHIELDS > Behavior Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > Browse:

C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfpconfg.exe
C:\Program fies\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe

In Comodo:

Open Comodo > Defense+ > Computer Security Policy > set:

C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe   Set as Trusted Application
C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswRegSvr.exe    Set as Trusted Application
C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe    Set as Trusted Application
C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe    Set as Installer or Updater
C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\avast.setup    Set as Installer or Updater

Also in Defence + > Defence+ Settings > Detect ShellCode Injections(i.e. Buffer overflow protection) > Exclutions > Add:

C:\Program files\AVAST Software\*

I got these settings in Comodo because I run D+ in Paranoid mode.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:36:15 PM by iroc9555 »

Aventador

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 12:36:33 AM »
The use of a 3rd party firewall when running Windows 7 is not necessary.

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 02:23:55 AM »
The use of a 3rd party firewall when running Windows 7 is not necessary.

Well, if you say so...

@ n01clueless

If you are running Windows 7 with Avast! 7 Free or Pro, better read these threads to understand why you need another firewall that is not Windows firewall or Comodo 5.10 or older if you want to have control over your outbound connections.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93953.msg759534#msg759534

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/comodo-firewall-and-avast-7-t82382.0.html;msg588619#msg588619

Aventador

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:56:57 AM »
I love statements such as yours. With the advancements in Windows 7 firewall the need for a 3rd party firewall is no longer needed. Outbound protection is for paranoid people who feel like they need full control of everything going on in there pc. Avast with Windows 7 Firewall and Advanced Security is all the average user needs. Backed by a router with full NAT your all set.

http://www.askthecomputertech.com/windows-7-firewall.html

I can link you to hundreds of articles but why bother. The proof is out there. Also Windows 7 firewall can be setup to be just as effective if not more effective then Comodo. There is a guide at Wilders to show how.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 04:32:00 AM »
I love statements such as yours. With the advancements in Windows 7 firewall the need for a 3rd party firewall is no longer needed. Outbound protection is for paranoid people who feel like they need full control of everything going on in there pc. Avast with Windows 7 Firewall and Advanced Security is all the average user needs. Backed by a router with full NAT your all set.

http://www.askthecomputertech.com/windows-7-firewall.html

I can link you to hundreds of articles but why bother. The proof is out there. Also Windows 7 firewall can be setup to be just as effective if not more effective then Comodo. There is a guide at Wilders to show how.
@ Aventador,

(with apologies to n01clueless beforehand),

How does what you say help the original poster resolve his/her issue?  Seems more of a distraction than helpful assisitance to the OP; this is not a social webpage or forum, btw.  Just so you know.  Please keep your opinions out of a post that is not yours.   :o

If you wish to help, please do.

But glad you like AIS, though.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:33:57 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Aventador

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
It helps by less confusion.

n01clueless

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
Thanks for all the responses and info. Really appreciated. Firstly, apologies for not originally saying I have Vista OS. I also ensure everything (security critical apps anyway) are always up to date with Secunia PSI. I recently updated to CIS 5.12. (obviously without the A/V part). I also only have the Comodo sandbox enabled.

@iroc9555: Wow, that's some list of exclusions! I think I had most of those at some point but when I did a clean install of Avast 7 a while back I forgot to redo them. I use D+ in safe mode - are all these exclusions still necessary? Anyway, from what you say it seems it's fine to have both D+ and Avast behaviour shield enabled.

@Aventador: I'm sure you meant well but I'm with mchain on this one. Regardless of whether or not you believe 3rd party firewalls, outbound monitoring etc are necessary, this may be a valid topic for discussion elsewhere, but not relevant to the question I was asking.

iroc9555

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
n01clueless

@iroc9555: Wow, that's some list of exclusions! I think I had most of those at some point but when I did a clean install of Avast 7 a while back I forgot to redo them. I use D+ in safe mode - are all these exclusions still necessary? Anyway, from what you say it seems it's fine to have both D+ and Avast behaviour shield enabled.

Yes, you can have Avast! BS and Comodo D+ enabled. The exclusions are just a fail safe that I do on all my security programs.

However I will, at least, add AvastSvc.exe and avast.setup as Installer or Updater in Comodo Security Policy and cfp.exe, cfpconfg.exe, and cmdagent.exe in trusted processes in Avast! just to avoid any fortuitous alert.

Regards

n01clueless

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
Thanks again iroc9555. Some really useful info there. Although I was personally unaffected with Vista, I had no idea about the problem with CIS and Windows 7 and I was even more surprised how long it took Comodo to fix the problem with 5.12.

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 12:11:35 AM »
I tried the latest versions of Avast and Comodo, still blocked programs connected to the net. I will have to do a fresh install of both to see if the problem is still there.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

iroc9555

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 01:00:10 AM »
I tried the latest versions of Avast and Comodo, still blocked programs connected to the net. I will have to do a fresh install of both to see if the problem is still there.

Not sure what you mean, but Comodo Autosandbox and Execution Control have the nasty habit of autosandboxing or partially run programs and not alerting when Comodo is new in the comp. Check your D+ Events.

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 01:40:53 AM »
Post removed.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:43:04 AM by Dumper »
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

iroc9555

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 01:52:56 AM »

juuki

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 10:04:27 AM »
If you are running Windows 7 make sure you got CIS 5.12 ( Firewall and D+ only. No AV ) to have complete control on your outbound connections. Also decide which Autosandbox or Sandbox you want to have active.

Both, Avast! Behavior Shield and Comodo D+ play well with these exclusions

In Avast!:

Open Avast! > REAL-TIME SHIELDS > File System Shields > Expert Settings > Exclusions > Add > Browse:

C:\Program files\COMODO\*

In > REAL-TIME SHIELDS > Behavior Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > Browse:

C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe
C:\Program files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfpconfg.exe
C:\Program fies\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe

In Comodo:

Open Comodo > Defense+ > Computer Security Policy > set:

C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe   Set as Trusted Application
C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\aswRegSvr.exe    Set as Trusted Application
C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe    Set as Trusted Application
C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe    Set as Installer or Updater
C:\Program files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\avast.setup    Set as Installer or Updater

Also in Defence + > Defence+ Settings > Detect ShellCode Injections(i.e. Buffer overflow protection) > Exclutions > Add:

C:\Program files\AVAST Software\*

I got these settings in Comodo because I run D+ in Paranoid mode.

What about exclusions/settings setup for Avast!free 2014.9.0.2016 and Comodo firewall 7.0 (both latest versions)?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:06:02 AM by juuki »