Author Topic: TOO TIME TO REBOOT AFTER UPDATE  (Read 5358 times)

Pp Tkt

TOO TIME TO REBOOT AFTER UPDATE
« on: September 24, 2003, 07:24:22 PM »
After update, reboot PC is too late. Sometimes take more of one hour...
Can you help me? I am using Win ME and P-III.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:TOO TIME TO REBOOT AFTER UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 08:35:10 PM »
Does anything change if you stop some of the resident protection providers, or when you stop the resident protection at all?

Pp Tkt

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 02:09:33 AM »
Avast4 update byself on Internet connection. After that, send a message to reboot. When reboot, the message from Windows about updating configuration files take a lot of minutes, almost one hour. I don't stop the providers because I can't get in to the system.

Tks for your support.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 04:15:52 AM »
Hmmm, Igor it´s very strange  ::)
A friend of mine relate a problem with Windows Me recently with the same symthoms...
Maybe anyone who uses Win Me can help Pp Tkt...
I suggest - although I´m not a Me user - that you try to recover your registry (long time boot in Me generally is caused by registry faults...). Maybe booting in "Save Mode"...
If I remember, at Windows folder (probably system, system32 or command sub-folders) could be some registry tools for Me.
Sorry I could not help you more...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Pp Tkt

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 05:14:14 PM »
I was working in this problem. I stopped reboot process and used boot disk from Win 95. I saw wininit.ini file and have a lot of files from Avast4 (some tipically ocurrs when you install a new software in PC). If I delete the content of wininit.ini, reboot process is normal (message "updating configuration files don't appear). But I feel to do this is not normal, imagine if I have to do it every time Avast4 is updated ... It's too much ...

Thanks for your oppinion.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 10:09:00 AM »
The file wininit.ini is performing the real update. When the running avast program is updated, its files are currently in use, so they cannot be replaced immediatelly. Instead, a number of .tmp files is created in the avast folder (those are the updated files) and the old files are replaced by these new ones on reboot.
So, if you delete the wininit.ini file, you avoid the actual update to happen.

In any case, this "replacement" should not take very long - the number of replaced files is not very big (20? 30?) - renaming 20 files should be rather quick. If it's not, I'd say your system have some big problem... a bad block in the system area of your harddisk or something like that. I don't think this problem is avast specific - if your systems freezes at this point ("Updating configuration files"), avast! is not yet active - so it cannot cause the problem, actually.

Pp Tkt

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 04:07:56 AM »
OK. Thanks for your support.
Regards.