Author Topic: Avast makes me suspicious. Any ideas?  (Read 3407 times)

kjjw

Avast makes me suspicious. Any ideas?
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:22:03 PM »
This past Friday, I updated Avast pro to version 7.0.1474. Until then, I was able to log in to my bank account in Windows XP Pro SP3. Friday night I tried to log in and received the "don't recognize your username & Password" error from my bank. I tried several times until my bank disabled my password. Then, I had to change my password. Every new password I tried I kept getting the message that my passwords didn't match. In other words, the first entry didn't match the second entry. I called my bank, they gave me access numbers to type in the password entry and that wouldn't work either. Everything they had me to try, it wouldn't work. Finally, I had to change it using a livecd and everything worked as it should then. Today, I tried to log in from Windows XP Pro SP3 again and I had exactly the same experience. I called my bank again, and their records show that my password isn't correct. She walked me through trying to change it with the access codes and again it wouldn't work either. Finally, I had to reboot to a livecd again and change my password, etc. What is going on here and how do I fix it? Until I made the update, everything was fine.

lash78

Re: Avast makes me suspicious. Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:30:30 PM »
Try to disable network shield or web shield in avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »
Why?
The best things in life are free.

kjjw

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »
I failed to mention that before I made this post for help, I had disabled all of the shields just long enough to try to log in but it didn't work. I still could not log in to my banks web site. It may not be Avast but it seems mighty strange it was working just a few days before I updated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:45:07 AM »
Well, I'll run a full scanning with avast! before disabling anything...
Also, do you use any other security program (firewall, filter, etc.)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 12:46:11 AM »
@ lash78,

Sorry, could be bad advice here.  Man in the middle attack possible.

@ kjjw,

It may or may not be a coincidence that your log in problems began with your upgrade of Avast!  You do not say what version number you had prior.  This could be pertinent.

Two ways to tackle this:
  • Do a clean install of Avast!.  Download a fresh new copy of the installer, use aswclear.exe to remove all previous copies of Avast! http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and download and save it to your desktop.  Run this file only after uninstalling via Add/Remove or Programs and Features in admin and then only run aswclear.exe in Safe Mode.  Reboot for each version removed, starting with version 7.  Caution:  This utility will remove all files and folders it is pointed towards, so ensure you point to Avast folders only.
  • Submit a support request for a malware expert to look over your logs you submit to see if you have an underlying infection here:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0  Please attach the four logs produced by AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, OTL, and aswMBR/exe.  Please do not attempt to fix anything here, use the scan utility to provide logs for your expert to review.
When doing a clean install, save your licence if needed, and be offline while doing the work for Avast!.  Better safe than sorry.

Remove all prior versions of other a/v's here:  http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/  Reboot after each a/v software removal.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:52:45 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

kjjw

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:35:11 PM »
Hopefully, I have found the culprit and if I'm correct, it wasn't Avast after all. I was using Trusteer Rapport. When I stopped this service, I was able to log in immediately. Since then, I have rebooted and tried logging in several times again and each time it has been successful. I was hoping I wouldn't have to uninstall & reinstall Avast so now maybe I won't have too. If it should start giving me problems again, I'll certainly try your suggestions. Thanks everyone for your help!

MAG

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »
It may not have been Trusteer Rapport per se (in which case there would be masses of reports I suspect), but rather an interaction between Rapport and avast (or even Rapport plus avast plus something else on your system)  - there have been other instances of clashes between the two reported on the forum.

The law of well intentioned unintended consequences.