Author Topic: Why is Avast connected to Google servers all the time?  (Read 5671 times)

lazyness

Why is Avast connected to Google servers all the time?
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:40:54 PM »
I was checking my netstat up and found out that Avast is connected to Google IP " 74.125.228.64" all the time. Why is that?

TCP     ***.***.      74.125.228.64:80       ESTABLISHED     1876
  TCP     ***.***.      74.125.228.64:80       ESTABLISHED     1876
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:11:08 PM by lazyness »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why is Avast connected to Google servers all the time?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
What element of avast ?
As I don't see anything in your listing that says this is avast making the connection. I don't see anything like that if I run netstat from a cmd window.

The avast web shield uses a localhost proxy redirecting HTTP connections (like port 80) to localhost port 12080. It does that to scan http traffic.

What browser are you using ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lazyness

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »
My takmanager says it is the "AvastUI.exe", PID 1876. It has an established connection to Google IP even with the browser closed.

I'm using Opera Browser 12.10.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:09:49 PM by lazyness »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »
Not sure why avastUI.exe would have a connection, much less one to google.

Something you can try though, from the avastUI, Settings, Troubleshooting and check the option Do not use Chrome as avast! default browser. I don't know if in the case it thinks you have the chrome browser it somehow checks google, possibly to check update (this is speculation on my part).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cooby

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:31:34 PM »
It's been like that for ages. It's google-analytics. See C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log\HtmlRemoteContent.log.
My hosts file blocks it so no connection but the attempts are there.
Avast mobile does the same thing.

lazyness

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »
It's been like that for ages. It's google-analytics. See C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log\HtmlRemoteContent.log.

What kind of information is Google gathering from me? And, how can block it using the hosts file?

lazyness

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:25:10 PM »
Not sure why avastUI.exe would have a connection, much less one to google.

Something you can try though, from the avastUI, Settings, Troubleshooting and check the option Do not use Chrome as avast! default browser. I don't know if in the case it thinks you have the chrome browser it somehow checks google, possibly to check update (this is speculation on my part).

I already have that one checked!  8)

cooby

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:10 PM »

What kind of information is Google gathering from me? And, how can block it using the hosts file?
If you use chrome or some google thingie (toolbar? constant connection to gmail?) that might be a reason.
I don't have the ever-present connection, and only see the attempts when avast updates.
I have no idea if it collects anything or not. It might collect your IP or that avast is used, who knows.
Don't forget, Avast is watching if something bad occurs, so don't panic.

To use mvps hosts look here:
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
Read ALL of it. Read again. Follow all instructions.