Author Topic: Avast! 4.5 Home Edition and YPops 0.6  (Read 6992 times)

freelancer

Avast! 4.5 Home Edition and YPops 0.6
« on: February 09, 2005, 05:54:43 AM »
I'm a new user of Avast! 4.5 Home Edition, and I would just like to know how to configure it so that it will scan emails I retrieve using YPops v0.6. It's an application that emulates a POP3/SMTP server and enables popular email clients like Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, Calypso, etc., to download/send email from Yahoo! accounts. Any idea guys?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 06:38:55 AM by freelancer »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast! 4.5 Home Edition and YPops 0.6
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 07:52:57 AM »
I have tested Avast! with two other sourceforge teammates of YPops (FreePops and MrPostman) and with YahooPops all of which provide the http to POP3 conversion of email. 

For a reason unknown the clever Avast! folks have largely ignored the fact the a lot of us use these programs and therefore have actually set up a mail server on our own systems using localhost (127.0.0.1) as the route.  By default Avast! ignores POP3 mail delivered via localhost. 

To persuade Avast! to scan these emails you can edit the avast4.ini file which you should find in your Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA folder with notepad.exe or your favorite editor.

If it does not contain a section headed :

[MailScanner]

then add that line.

add to the MailScanner section a line:

IgnoreLocalhost=0

and save the avast4.ini file.

I have not looked at the YPops application in detail and the website does not give details of the interface but you should congfigure YPops to use port 110 (the default POP3 port) if that is not its default.  Your mail client would then use localhost (or 127.0.0.1) as the server and port 110 for its connection.

The website does not make clear if/how YPops supports the sending of SMTP mail but if your mail is being sent on the default SMTP port (25) then I believe that Avast! will scan this outgoing mail too.

You can select in the mail scanner to have text added to incoming and outgoing mails to show that they have been scanned.  Try this to make sure that Avast! is now scanning your mail coming through YPops.   

« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 08:14:47 AM by alanrf »

freelancer

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 10:11:42 AM »
I have tried the procedure you suggested, but I'm sorry to say that it didn't work.  Instead I got the following alert: "Unable to create POP3 server socket...If you are using an antivirus program with email scanning enabled, you might have to change the port in YahooPOPs! to a non-standard port and then make the appropriate changes in your email application. YahooPOPs! will not service any of the request of your email application till you make the necessary changes." That made sense because in its configuration manual, the following was made clear: "POP3 mail servers run on port 110 by default. This is the default port number for YahooPOPs! as well. But, if you already running a mail server or have an antivirus application with email scanning enabled, then in all likelyhood you have not been able to run YahooPOPs. You can either change the port settings in your mail server or change it in YahooPOPs. YahooPOPs can run on any TCP port in the range 1 - 65535. Change the port number here, and make the necessary change in your account settings in your email application as well."

Is there any other way we could go around this?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 10:17:51 AM by freelancer »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 11:31:46 AM »
As I mentioned earlier, I had already tested with YahooPops.  Since my version of YahooPops is 0.6 I am guessing it is the same YPops you are referring to.

I just ran YahooPops with my mail client (Thunderbird 1.0) set:

server type POP3
server: localhost
port 110
userid: myuserid@yahoo.com

along with Avast! 4.5 Home edition and received a test message from Yahoo that contains the "scanned clean" text appended by Avast!

Are you running any other services such as spam scanner/mail washer etc? 

Does your avast4.ini MailScanner section contain anymore than:

[MailScanner]
StartPop=1
StartSmtp=1
StartImap=1
ShowTrayIcon=1
IgnoreLocalhost=0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 11:37:42 AM »
Have a look a Technical's info about the avast4.ini file. What to do/set can be obtained from there.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 11:47:24 AM »
I was just able to recreate the error message from YahooPops to which you refer.  I started another program (FreePops in this case - a program that functions similarly to YPops but covers many more services).  It "grabbed" localhost port 110 and YahooPops could not get it and gave the error message you reported. 

So it seems very likely that you are already running another competing function.  Avast! (in its default configuration) does not do this.

If you need help in determining what is using localhost port 110 I suggest a useful freeware program called "Active Ports".

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 12:08:37 PM »
Just confirmed that YahooPops and YPops are just different names for the same function.  Just downloaded the latest build and confirmed that  Yahoo mail is read with "scanned clean" text appended by Avast! in the configuration I suggested. 

Just by the way the avast4.ini was the setting recommended by Avast! ... see posting by VLK (Avast! team member) on Nov 13 2004.

Technical has not included this ini setting yet in his description of the ini file.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 12:22:51 PM by alanrf »

freelancer

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 12:50:48 PM »
Thanks for all the feedbacks and very useful information you're giving me guys. Gonna try to work on them later. Kinda short of time for now.

I'm using OExpress 6 by the way, and outside my free ZoneAlarm 5.5 I couldn't think of anything else that maybe confounding my problem.

Thanks again!!!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 01:01:39 PM »
Hmmm ... it occurs to me that I may owe you an apology.

I forgot the basic question in this area ... which operating system are you using?

My suggestion is not appropriate, I believe, for a Windows 9x environment (Windows 98 or Windows Me).  In that environment I understand that Avast! does take over localhost port 110 and port redirection would be needed for YahooPops.  I understand that a mail configuration wizard is provided that does not appear in my XP setup. 

If this is your situation (by way of penance) I will install Avast! on a Windows Me system later today and find out how to configure it with YahooPops.

freelancer

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 03:36:52 AM »
I'm using Windows 98SE and Avast! does take over port 110.  I have encountered the same problem with AVG7. Tried various config already but none have work so far.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 05:28:33 AM »
I wrote up a description of how to use YahooPops (and other webmail proxies) with AVG7 - they made it a sticky on their messaging forum under my id alanrf.

I no longer have any 98SE systems around my house but WinME should be similar - I will try that with YahooPops and get back here with the results.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 07:37:53 AM »
Ok up and working with YahooPops (o.6) and Avast! on Windows Me and Outlook Express.

On the "Network" settings for YahooPops you need to select another port than 110.  I suggest 11110 but if you decide something different remember it. 

In the "Security" setting for YahooPops make sure to select "Plain Text".   Restart YahooPops.

In Outlook Express set up your Yahoo account as though it had nothing to do with Avast!   Set:

Incoming mail server is a:  POP3    server
Incoming mail (POP3):        localhost
Outgoing mail (SMTP):        your normal SMTP mail server

Account name:                    youruserid@yahoo.com#localhost:11110

(if you chose a different port number from my suggestion above this is where you enter it).

Password:                            I think you know what that means
Check "Remember password" if that is appropriate for you and leave everything else on that page unchecked.

Click on "OK"

In the "Advanced" tab for your Yahoo mail account make sure that the "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" port is left at 25 and the "Incoming mail (POP3)" port is left at 110.  These are the defaults but just check them to be sure.

A bit long ... sorry .... but you should be good to go with reading your Yahoo mail into OE now.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 07:41:50 AM by alanrf »

freelancer

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 11:41:17 AM »
The configuration you suggestion is superb! Avast! 4.5 Home Edition can now scan emails retrieve using YPOPs 0.6 installed in a Windows 98SE operating system.

More power to you alanrf. Job well done!!!  :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 11:47:13 AM by freelancer »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 09:04:00 PM »
Technical has not included this ini setting yet in his description of the ini file.

What did I miss?  ??? ::)
The best things in life are free.

Dave the Rave

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 06:04:34 PM »
Ok up and working with YahooPops (o.6) and Avast! on Windows Me and Outlook Express.

[snip]

In the "Advanced" tab for your Yahoo mail account make sure that the "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" port is left at 25 and the "Incoming mail (POP3)" port is left at 110.  These are the defaults but just check them to be sure.

Nice job! However, in my case the Incoming mail (POP3) port should not be 110, but 2901 instead.

-Dave