Author Topic: >:( I want rid of internet security  (Read 5300 times)

Offline DeeOhh

>:( I want rid of internet security
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
I want to know how to get rid of the internet security part of the free anti-virus, I only accepted the trial to stop it pestering me to get it as it's only a general use computer I don't really need that much, but now that the trial is over I'm getting a window pop up announcing that my license has run out and must be renewed etc etc, which displays on top of anything and everything else including core system programs like task manager which I have set to be always on top, it's obtrusive and annoying and if it carries on then not only will I refuse point blank to buy a license for the internet security when all I need on this computer is the free anti-virus but I will be cancelling the renewal of the pro version that I have on my work computer, I don't choose avast to be bullied into buying something I don't need/want I use it to prevent other things from behaving in this way. >:(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: >:( I want rid of internet security
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:42:14 PM »
If you don't want the AIS version of avast then uninstall it and replace with the free version.

Offline DeeOhh

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »
why is there not just a revert option it was simple enough for it to upgrade from free to internet security version in the first place just click restart and 2 minutes later it was done it should be set up as simple to do it the other way around or at the very least have an option to tell the stupid thing that I know it's run out and I couldn't give a rats backside so long as it doesn't pester me.

Yoshi2889

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »
If you click Register now, it allows you to revert back - just click on Back in the window that pops up.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:55 PM »
Once you have upgraded the only way back is to uninstall and re-install the free version, that's how it works sorry.

Once the trial runs out your left unprotected I believe which is why your receiving the popups to license the product.

Yoshi2889

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
Once you have upgraded the only way back is to uninstall and re-install the free version, that's how it works sorry.
Hmm, I have "downgraded" by using the method I mentioned above - should I have reinstalled Avast instead?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »
If you click Register now, it allows you to revert back - just click on Back in the window that pops up.
If that does work in that manner then good but I've only ever seen users fix it with re-installs.

Try it and see I suppose :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:03:52 PM »
If that does work in that manner then good but I've only ever seen users fix it with re-installs.

Try it and see I suppose :)

@Craig
Well just to add, I have only reverted back to Avast "Free" by uninstalling the paid version and the install Avast Free from new download link. 8)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »
@Craig
Well just to add, I have only reverted back to Avast "Free" by uninstalling the paid version and the install Avast Free from new download link. 8)
It helps to eliminate any un-forseen problems doing it this way :)

Yoshi2889

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »
@Craig
It helps to eliminate any un-forseen problems doing it this way :)
Must agree - I encountered a couple of bugs doing it from within the app, going to reinstall now :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »
Must agree - I encountered a couple of bugs doing it from within the app, going to reinstall now :)
It's always best to do it right the first time.
If all else fails, follow the directions.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.