Author Topic: Excluding by threat type  (Read 3088 times)

Mark86-UK

Excluding by threat type
« on: November 14, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
As part of the eval of Avast I'm doing I'm looking to use the current settings of our existing Kaspersky Enterprise install as a template for what I configure in Avast, especially the exclusions. Some of the exclusions are done by threat type e.g. not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32* I can only see how to exclude specific file names, paths and extensions?

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
Re: Excluding by threat type
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 03:47:35 PM »
As part of the eval of Avast I'm doing I'm looking to use the current settings of our existing Kaspersky Enterprise install as a template for what I configure in Avast, especially the exclusions. Some of the exclusions are done by threat type e.g. not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32* I can only see how to exclude specific file names, paths and extensions?
There is no such option in avast

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
As said, you cannot exclude specific "detections".
The best things in life are free.

Mark86-UK

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
This will mean a lot of configuring additional exclusions for all the detection tools we use which may be installed to different locations on different OSes, etc. The file name may also vary depending on version or whether it's 32 or 64 bit so I'd really like to have this feature. Does anyone know if there are any plans to implement this in future versions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any plans to implement this in future versions?
I don't think so... It's a security backdoor that will be opened.
It's not for common user but for a very specific advanced ones.
The best things in life are free.

wpn

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »
@Tech   and hence that we are in the business side of the forum ;)
now your starting to make the same thinking mistake as Avast does, taking out control of the system administrator......

the way i see it:  simply said its wished for to have  exclusion profiles which have predefined rules in place and some dynamic or adaptive rules (behavior analysis?)
the profile could be for a range of programs (like remote control apps) or specific traffic or something.... 

all instead of the manual configuring

on the other hand, manually configuring (altho a pain in the cornhole if you need to do a lot of it) gives you complete control and knowledge about what is excluded, where as with predefined rules (which i assume Kaspersky is also using) its not 100% clear until you manually check it.