Author Topic: avast! On A Workgroup  (Read 2165 times)

Farquea

avast! On A Workgroup
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
I've taken over a medium sized business with about 40 devices on the network. The network has no windows domain, instead it is just a workgroup. I was thinking of purchasing a server to do a few tasks and was thinking of putting a managed anti-virus onto it too.

Will i be able to put on the avast control panel and have it deploy and regualrly track all devices on the workgroup? Are there are limitations or pitfalls i may find when trying to install this onto a domain network?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
Re: avast! On A Workgroup
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 04:43:46 AM »
Hello Farquea,

You mean deploy avast by push install to all discovery host on domain network and workgroup?
Usually I use avast Enterprise Administrator/AEA console for doing this scenario

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

wpn

Re: avast! On A Workgroup
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »
you have a workgroup, no domain so thats your first pitfall for that many devices.

You can use the Avast console for deployment but all the computers need to have the exact same settings in their workgroup config and their admin accounts (name/password).
file sharing should be enabled too (see manual for which ports need to be open and which shares need to be there)

if it was up to me i would buy a new server and put Small Businness Server on it and then install the Avast console so you can properly maintain the computers and the AV