Author Topic: fake FBI scam virus  (Read 4271 times)

ebbsgear

fake FBI scam virus
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
I've got a PC infected with the fake FBI virus that demands payment to unlock my pc.  Is AVAST aware of this and will it remove the virus?  I ran a detailed scan as well as a boot scan and the PC still locks up after Windows XP Pro starts.

Should I be looking to another vender to fix this mess?

Help!

true indian

Re: fake FBI scam virus
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »
I understand you concerns...but please keep in my mind that these ransomwares are re-packed almost every hour as soon as AV vendors detect it...so no antivirus program will detect 100% of every virus out there..avast! in my experience detects this very well...if you fell into this trap and avast didnt detect it..it means you ran into a completely new re-packed version.

Follow this guide: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

attach all logs here..

no dont use any other vendor.. just use your common sense and your brain while messing around the internet and use avast of course  ;)

btw,I just got one of this ransomware scam detected by avast! labs today  8)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:51:15 PM by true indian »

OldPC3

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 07:46:44 AM »
Just picked up this malware this evening.  Running in Safe Mode now.  Can't run a scan or generate logs because Avast reports that I now have 0 days left on my license.  Can't reinstall the license file because Avast reports that it cannot find it(!!!!). Any suggestions?  Wish I had the bucks to track these slime down and wipe THEIR soft drive!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:36:54 AM »
@OldPC3
if able to, see guide and attach logs   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 01:01:12 PM »
I have dealt with this malware where all AV's have been installed from AVG to Norton and that includes Kaspersky.  As True Indian states they are updated faster than the AV vendors can follow