Author Topic: Removing Trend!  (Read 3449 times)

SCORPIONINBLUE

Removing Trend!
« on: February 09, 2005, 04:38:14 PM »
I have a hand me down p.c. I got from a relative which was previously used in an office environment , (I of course don't have the program disk which is Windows 2000 Professional). it has Trend antivirus on it (obviously defunct now).  I deleted all the folders and went into add/remove to clear it from the system but it's apparently password protected, and I don't have a clue as to what that is.  I went into the C drive and disabled everything I was capable of accessing but of course I didn't get to all of it.  Now this program isn't interfering with Avast, so I apparently I was successful in crippling it, however it still starts up automatically and runs in the background doing nothing but sucking up precious memory [/u] (Pentium II - Compaq).

I have Tune-Up Utilities and through their process manager I'm able to access my start-up items.  Now I must remind you that  because I have such a terrible fear of fatal crashing and NO PROGRAM DISK as a backup, I'm very leery about deleting things, so I want to give you guys the following data and if one or two of you gurus could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.  I found the following files in my CPU list:

tmlisten.exe
ntrtscan.exe

I went to Google and investigated them, and found out they are indeed files that are responsible for running Trend Scan.  Can I safely terminate these processes and rid myself of Trend altogether without fear of some fatal crashing?  Or should I just let this "sleeping dog lie" and be safe rather than sorry?  I'm using 96% of my memory presently, so the temption to eliminate these vampires is burning within me.  Help me fellas!!

Scorpioninblue

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Removing Trend!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 04:52:21 PM »
Logon as admonistrator and delete Tren. Don't forget the registry entries.

SCORPIONINBLUE

Re: Removing Trend!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 05:05:04 PM »
Thanks, Eddy, you guys are the absolute best!!
Scorpioninblue