Author Topic: Firefox 17.0 and Script Shield  (Read 47609 times)

dfoulkes

Re: Firefox 17.0 and Script Shield
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2012, 11:42:55 PM »
I've been following this Subject since the 25th of this month because I had the Shield problem here on this Wn764bit sys.
I downloaded the patch files on the 25th and replaced both of them in my Avast folder ... as outlined in prior instructions.  I did that while I having the Shield turned off, browsers closed and if I remember correctly, I had to close out Google talk.
Once the replacement was completed I turned the Shield back on in Avast settings and then started Firefox up...

From what I've seen so far is that the Script Shield is running in Avast and after a few hours of browsing I noticed that the counter in the Real Time Shields display of Avast displayed zero for both numbers.  So, thinking that maybe my NoScript was doing too well, I opened up a profile that has no extensions installed and then browsed around some... checked that counter and it was still zero for both counters. 

Then I figured I'd start up IE and visit the same sites that I did with Firefox and the first scan number immediately went off zero... I did some more and it increased again... I closed IE, went back to Firefox (no extensions) and visited those same sites... the counter did not increment.

So, I know people here have gotten the scanning working... have you actually notice if the counter goes up as you are using Firefox?

Thanks.

Edit
I have portable Chrome and here Firefox 3.28 and I started them up...
The counters for the older Firefox incremented when I visited a site.
The counters for the latest Chrome did not increment after visiting the same site.

Edit2
OK... what I did.  Even knowing that I downloaded those two files on the 25th and moved them into the Avast folder (the dates in my file explore for those two files were also dated the 25th so, I knew that they were the new ones... plus with those new files I could turn on the script scanning option in avast (though the counters did not move as stated above) ... where prior to having those new files in avast... an attempt to turn it on responded with an error...

Anyway, I decided to start fresh with all this ... closed down browsers, closed down my Google talk (which I found had those two file open), stopped the monitoring in avast, deleted the old (new ones that I got from here) and replaced them with the two downloaded files again.. plus I installed those two .sum files.

Anyway, to my surprise... everything seems to be working properly now... I have no clue why it didn't work the first time...

So, all is OK not... and thanks for the great board and software!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:10:09 AM by dfoulkes »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2012, 07:30:16 AM »
Please follow these steps to apply patch:

1. Close all your running web browsers and turn off self-protection mode (settings -> troubleshooting).
2. Download patched version to \Program Files\AVAST Software\avast:
3. ** NEW ** Download .sum file (save it to the same folder as .dll):
       Now avast won't replace your patched version with original DLL file.

4. Turn on self-protection.
hi  dfoulkes,

The difference is in the installation of the new .sum files, as the new .sum files prevent the self-protection module within Avast! when it is turned back on from replacing the new .dll files with the old original .dll files that did not work in the first place.  This new option just came in, glad you got this sorted.

Step 3 is what is new here.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
No, not the self-defence module, or it would be replaced immediately you turned the self-defence module back on, not when a manual update check was done.

The .sum is for the validation/integrity checking function (on an update/repair, etc.), if a file doesn't pass the integrity check it is repaired (read replaced), the .sum file for the patched file is used to confirm its integrity so that it doesn't get replaced.

Step 3 I think was missed as the older fixes always had this .sum file but the user had to manually download the file/s and their corresponding .sum file/s. I believe they were missed out, I wondered why they weren't there, but though (dangerous I know) that avast had found a way to make the .sum file redundant (obviously not).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »
Is it really a huge deal that the script shield doesn't work?

As you use NoScript anyway, no.

It's only a big deal if the site one has allowed with NoScript is compromised.  Then, the script may well be malicious.  I'd rather have Avast Script Shield running, which the patch fixes.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

dfoulkes

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »
No, not the self-defence module, or it would be replaced immediately you turned the self-defence module back on, not when a manual update check was done.

The .sum is for the validation/integrity checking function (on an update/repair, etc.), if a file doesn't pass the integrity check it is repaired (read replaced), the .sum file for the patched file is used to confirm its integrity so that it doesn't get replaced.

Step 3 I think was missed as the older fixes always had this .sum file but the user had to manually download the file/s and their corresponding .sum file/s. I believe they were missed out, I wondered why they weren't there, but though (dangerous I know) that avast had found a way to make the .sum file redundant (obviously not).
On the 25th those two new .sum files were not posted here but I used the procedure that was found on the first page of this thread... the steps I took were... this all began when I received an avast notice that the script scanning was no longer running.
- downloaded those two files
- closed my browser
- backed up those two files from my original avast folder
- got into avast/troubleshooting and un-ticked the Self-defense
- attempted to delete them from the avast folder but was notified that Google Talk owned them...
- closed out Google talk
- deleted those two files
- copied/pasted the new files from my download folder into avast
- got back into avast and activated the self-defense
- everything looked OK from that point on

Then, in monitoring the counts as I mentioned before, I notice that visiting links that I knew had scripts... no changes were taking place in the avast scan counts... that's when I posted above.  I did not install those .sum files the first time around because they were not part of that first post and it/they was only found by me as I followed this thread ... because the first fix did not seem to be working... I suppose that avast may have noticed (during my first attempt) that those new files didn't match up with things and corrected itself... not sure... but it all works fine now... thanks for the feedback and help.

Also, if not already done... maybe the first post here needs to up updated with those two .sum files in case others come along here and don't follow all the remarks and just use the first fix... as I did.

David_E

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
Is there going to be a program update to fix this issue?
Or, is the only way to fix this to follow this thread for the latest manual patch instructions?

Is there anywhere to see easily check the status on issues like this such as a news forum?

Could Avast alert users of issues like this somehow, such as:
- A warning/notice on the Summary Page
- A warning/notice in the popup message (Avast often adds messages here...)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2012, 01:53:14 AM »
It's working for me........17.0.1

warlock

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
@avast

Have you looked at js-ctypes? Rewriting the filter to use this api should make it Fx version independent.