Author Topic: WARNING! Avast! is installing Google Chrome without user permission  (Read 4167 times)

randwill

After struggling to get the update to stick today I finally rebooted and discovered that Googel Chrome had been installed without my permission. Fuck you very much Avast - but I removed it as soon as I saw it was there.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: WARNING! Avast! is installing Google Chrome without user permission
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:59:35 PM »
do a forum search.....

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:01:21 AM »
...or use custom install (for every software you install).

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:49:46 AM »
No need to cuss. It was not forced on you. There was a screen that appeared during the install which gave you the choice to opt-out.
Personally I wish it was an opt-in. As far as Chrome goes if you use it you will find it (Chrome) is a excellent browser. The only issue I have with Chrome is I can't access my Yahoo mail. Other than that I'm finding I am using Chrome as my primary browser. It fast and very secure.

Here is the latest from the browser wars http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

randwill

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:12:37 AM »
I like Firefox. I know many others who love Chrome. What I object to is the sneaky way it landed on my system, hijacking my preferred browser setting in doing so. When I saw that, I couldn't uninstall it fast enough. Today's update was so buggered that there may have been an opt-out that I missed. I've been using Avast for many years and I don't recall ever having to opt-out of anything before. (Unlike, say, Adobe Flash, which wants to install McAfee every time it updates.)  Sorry for the cuss word. Every forum has different etiquette. The ones I frequent are more liberal. And I was mad.

cooby

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:02:23 AM »
After struggling to get the update to stick today I finally rebooted and discovered that Googel Chrome had been installed without my permission. f**k you very much Avast - but I removed it as soon as I saw it was there.
If you can read, after Avast installed clean or upgrade, the computer rebooted and there was a screen with options to NOT install chrome and its toolbar and continue.
If you cannot read, oh well ...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 03:26:24 AM »
This will be the screen you talked about.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

randwill

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:35:16 AM »
Yep, I was doing something on an adjacent computer while trying to effect the upgrade and, being distracted, I guess I missed the opt-out stuff. Hate to see another company going down this hole but I understand they want to make money and these unpleasant tactics are becoming the norm. But I don't pay Avast anything , so how can I complain?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »
Well that screen requires input the Finish button at the bottom right, so I think it should remain.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security