Author Topic: Window 8 Network Issues - dont bother using Support  (Read 18213 times)

Surreysteve

Window 8 Network Issues - dont bother using Support
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
Hiya

Avast are obviously in total chaos over this and it seems the only sensible info is on this forum. Despite sending two emails and 3 screenshots I got a total 'head in sand' response to simply re-install and then to get a new licence key. Pretty insulting really to those who have a technical background when so many real problems exist with Windows 8 and Avast. Obviously this did not work which  means I just wasted my time until I look on here and find the true problems.

I have an HP laptop with Windows 8 Pro. My problem manifests itself after about an hour of running in a loss of network and Web access although not total. Strangely stuff like Downloads, Gmail and Facebook continue to work but I cannot access most other websites nor my local router.

Additionally, when I look at Avast it reports that it is no longer licenced despite showing a licence file that is valid until July 2013. On one occasion it said it was no longer protecting the PC. If I disable Avast totally then I regain access to my local network and all websites. A reboot also clears the problem for an hour or two until it returns.

I will continue to debug in the absence of any Avast technical help (although it would be appreciated!). If anyone else has narrowed the problems better that I or has workarounds then it would be appreciated.

I did liek Avast until this and it would be a shame to go back to Kaspersky now!

Steve T

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Window 8 Network Issues - dont bother using Support
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
is this a brand new computer....was it delivered with a preinstalled trail version antivirus?
what antivirus did you use before installing avast?
did you uninstall it before installing avast?
did you run the vendors removal tool to clear any leftover files that may conflict?

removal tools
http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Surreysteve

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »
Laptop was a year old.

As said in previous message Avast was a licenced version bought and installed  in July 2012 and which expires in July 2013. Avast worked perfectly on Windows 7 - never a problem. I installed Windows 8 a month ago and initially all was fine. Problems began around a week ago. The start of the Avast problems 'appeared' to tie in with a Windows 8 update although this is just supposition

Have done a complete Avast remove (using tool) and a total re-install. Have also obtained and installed new licence file. Still have same problems.

Steve

Surreysteve

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »
....and just to answer your question if not already clear - no other Anti Virus used. Just Avast - initially free version and then paid version from July 2012

Surreysteve

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:18:57 PM »
Anyone from Avast got a comment on when Windows 8 users can expect a working version?

SteveRandall

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:41:55 AM »
I have just bought new laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed. Having been delighted with the free avast on my previous PC, I bought the Pro version for the new one. Shortly after installation, some of the Windows8 Apps (Skype, Store, photos etc) stopped working (they opened by hung on the "loading" screen. I wasn't sure if it was avast that had caused this but uninstalled it anyway and the apps came back to life. I sent a message to avast support via their website two weeks ago and have not even received an automated "thanks, we'll get round to it sometime" response. Until I hear something positive, I think I will just depend on Defender to ward of the evils of the internet.

nuline370

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 11:41:23 AM »
I'm having problems with internet access being randomly blocked or data partially sent - Windows 8 and Avast Pro trial 7.0.1474

It seems other people are having similar issues with Avast and Windows 8?

Any official comments from Avast? Has this problem been acknowledged?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
I do believe there is much work to be done on compatibility with Windows 8 and the paid versions of Avast( seems Avast Free works best).
Now this is simply based on reading the number of issues being reported I'm pretty sure the team is addressing the Windows8 issues in the upcoming  Version 8 of Avast.
While there are Windows8 users with apparently no issues I get the sense they are in the minority. :)

win8user

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
I've had the same problem for the past two weeks.  The internet access comes to a halt after couple hours of heavy network use (i.e., downloading several linux distros at a high speed).  The weird thing is the downloading continues to work while any attempt for internet browsing fails with any browser.

As soon as I disable the network shield in Avast, everything comes back to normal.  I've tried updating the system files as suggested in other posts without any success.

After many days of hari pulling frustrations, I just switched the antivirus program.  Hope Avast resolves this issue soon as I really want to use Avast.

Surreysteve

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
Still no joy. Support are no use at all - I guess because they don't now what the problem is!

What I do find annoying is that I bother to send screen shots, copious specific information and I get treated like a fool.

Sequence so far:

1.   Give them screen shots + loads of information describing environment and problem
    2.   Get told to do remove/install
    3.   Doesn't work (What a surprise)
    4.   Tell them it doesn't work - get asked what problem is again!
    5.   Get told to download new licence file
    6.   Same as 3.
    7.   Get asked what problem is again!!
    8.   I Give up wasting my time and decide to wait till they decide to sneak out the fix (without anyone noticing  LOL)

Surely any decent support team needs info from people like myself - I may not know Avast but I have more debugging and programming experience than their entire support team I'd guess.

Like most people here, I do like Avast and am just disappointed they have descended into such a shambles.

Steve T

k.electron

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 06:15:01 AM »
i have been facing the exact same problem.

only solution is to disable web shield and carry on. create like an ubuntu vm with virtualbox to browse the internet.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »
Additionally those that are having firewall problems with Avast and Windows 8..  Check that the NIC drivers are up to date http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=108522.new#new

win8user

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
Tried the last 5 drivers releases by realtek, also tried the drivers provided by Windows Update.  Same problem.

My notebook using intel wireless n1000 nic is fine though.

Surreysteve

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 06:35:55 PM »
Just a few more details.

I am also running Windows 8 64bit and Avast  7.0.1474

The problem occurs after a few hours running and stops me from accessing most websites although GMAIL, FB and Downloads continue to function.

For me the web access problem is removed by stopping the Web and Network shields whereupon I can again access all website (although unprotected!). NB Prior to this point Avast seems to have already 'crashed' in that it reports my 'trial update' has expired despite displaying a 'licenced to date of Mid 2013. Also if I then try and re-start the two stopped shields Avast say it cannot.

The only way I then have of getting to a working (and protected) system is to reboot - this buys me a couple of hours.

Anyone there from Avast?

Steve

Surreysteve

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »
Just to be totally clear I have a fully paid version of Avast and the 'trial expired' is a total mystery to me.