Author Topic: Problem updating virus definition today  (Read 98037 times)

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Problem updating virus definition today
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2012, 12:20:05 AM »
right now 7.0.1474
That's the program version. I've asked vor virus definitions version. ;)

DJBone
Doesn´t matter...the updateproblem is fixed. ;)
Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB

greenflow

« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2012, 02:33:03 AM »
Thought I'd thank all those who so promptly responded to my first post this morning about this issue. Appreciations to Avast team too for responding and fixing the problem. One of my computers has just successfully updated automatically but I had to manually update the other. Will see if the latter automatically updates itself tomorrow without my having to repair Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2012, 03:08:35 AM »
You're welcome.

I don't believe you will have to do a repair now that the problem was confirmed to be an avast infrastructure issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2012, 05:31:14 AM »
hi steve42lawson,

I looked at the screenshot that you were kind enough to provide, and I really do not see a problem here.  Sorry, but if the window in question says the virus update is up-to-date, it is up-to-date, and that is good enough for me.

As for the server error reported, it is just that, a server error.  When something like this happens, it will take enormous resources at a company like Avast! to fix and resolve; it also will take a bit more time to deploy and push out the fix they are now deploying.

Think of what happens when you or someone else has a bad auto accident on a major city freeway; traffic will back up, emergency responders must arrive, and time will be needed to investigate the cause of the crash, victims need to be transported to the hospital as quickly as they can be, and only after the accident scene is cleared and fixed up, does the flow of traffic come back to a normal level.

EDIT:  A multi-vehicle crash is even worse, so..

That is kind of what has happened here.  Just so you know.

1.  avast! staff should know about this within a minute or two of it happening unless no one is in visual distance or communication with the server, which should never be the case.

2.  In any case avast! needs to add a feature to their software that sends a pop-up message and email to users immediately notifying them that "updates will not forthcoming at this time due to a technical problem"

That is the least they should do.

The fact that the inability to update defintions for a short period may not be critical to the user's computer is totally irrrelevant.    People who use the software need to be informed by the software, email or text message what is happening rather than wasting their time coming to the forum and being given misleading information even  if unintentional.

When my network goes down I do not get an email but as soon as it goes down I can call my provider and an automated message will tell me if it is a general network outage in my area or not.   Having to go to a forum where the helpers can be in the dark about what is going on as much as the users is not the best way to handle problems like this.

Ijkoy

« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »
Can any official member please tell us what exactly happened? I'm always a bit worried when things like this happen to a security company. [paranoid]In the end i just want to be sure, that for example there was no hack going on, trying to compromise the virus database.[/paranoid] :)

However thank you for your great work!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
@Ijkoy....read reply #113 and #146

Ijkoy

« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
@Ijkoy....read reply #113 and #146

I don't see any "real" information except the infrastructure thing, but that could be anything. Thanks anyway :)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »
I received the Virus Definition popup earlier this morning.   :)

Klinker

« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »
Relative to this issue, are the streaming updates throughout the day cumulative? In other words, if the computer is on and off throughout the day only catching a few of the streaming updates, will the next streaming update received when the computer is turned back on include all data from the previous streaming updates, or will those "missing" streaming updates only be received with the next full virus definition update.

I did a search and didn't get the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »
Streaming updates aren't cumulative as such, each one is unique covering only those signatures contained within it and you can have many over the course of the day. But when you have your computer back on I believe you would receive the ones you haven't received.

Essentially the same happens when you first switch on your computer you get a batch of them all at the same time (see image).

However when the next regular auto update occurs, e.g. in this case 121121-1 then that contains all of the streaming updates and the old streaming update sub-folder and contents are removed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ijkoy

« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2012, 04:34:17 PM »
Hi again,

I did some additional research concerning the reason for this problem. I found this thread (http://forum.avadas.de/threads/4955-Manuelles-Signaturupdate-Fehler-Der-HTTP-Server-hat-einen-Fehler-zur%C3%BCckgegeben-404/page2) from a german distributer on their forums saying that a missing file on the update servers was causing the problem.

Cheers

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
Hi again,

I did some additional research concerning the reason for this problem. I found this thread (http://forum.avadas.de/threads/4955-Manuelles-Signaturupdate-Fehler-Der-HTTP-Server-hat-einen-Fehler-zur%C3%BCckgegeben-404/page2) from a german distributer on their forums saying that a missing file on the update servers was causing the problem.

Cheers
Thank you for that.

At least user installations worked well and as they should have in this scenario.  Imagine what could have happened if this update was successfully downloaded and installed on millions of user's computers and it was missing a necessary or critical file?  **Shudder**  Think it would have been catastrophic, to say the least.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Klinker

« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
Streaming updates aren't cumulative as such, each one is unique covering only those signatures contained within it and you can have many over the course of the day. But when you have your computer back on I believe you would receive the ones you haven't received.

Essentially the same happens when you first switch on your computer you get a batch of them all at the same time (see image).

However when the next regular auto update occurs, e.g. in this case 121121-1 then that contains all of the streaming updates and the old streaming update sub-folder and contents are removed.

Thanks DavidR for the quick response....that explains it exactly.

TMAnonAnon

« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
So I waited a day and voila, now the definitions are at 121121-0

For that guy who re-installed Avast on the day the update servers went down, wow bad luck/timing.
I'd really hate for that to happen to me too...

Weird, I saw a red Avast popup saying that my definitions were days out of date.
So I clicked the update, which seemed to fail but it wasn't clear or informative why...
So I tried to manually update and I too get the 404.

Using WinXP (32-bit) using Avast Home version 7.0.1474, with Definitions ver 121119-1

Clicking either "Update engine and virus definitions", or "Update program" results in:
Downloading file: servers.def.vpx
Downloading file: prod-ais.vpx
Downloading file: jrog2-653.vpx
Error: HTTP server returned error 404

Last encountered error: Other HTTP error (404), while trying 208.43.71.149:80//iavs5x/jrog2-653.vpx

Also one time I saw:
Last encountered error: Cannot connect to download767.avast.com(174.36.159.202:80).

Anyways, I've done this about 2 dozen times and the IP addresses are always different.
Looks like Avast server-side to me, but I'm patient and hope its fixed by tomorrow.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »

Thanks DavidR for the quick response....that explains it exactly.

You're welcome.