Author Topic: auto-update or manual?  (Read 3361 times)

Southern Man

auto-update or manual?
« on: November 21, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
Hi,i have avast free latest version set to auto-update supposedely this is the best?, but when avast updates whenever i have high cpu usage shown in task manager and normal programs just lock up and this happens soon after my pc boots up(very annoying) and i have all the desktop icons loaded and slows mozilla starting up real seriously (no addons) and msn,skpe ect,which ever program i try to open,in this case would it be better for me to change to manual update?.

southern man

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: auto-update or manual?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:24:36 AM »
Hi,

try this...
settings > troubleshooting > avast!services after loading other system data.
Better?

Sorry for my englisch! ;)
Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB

Southern Man

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:00:26 AM »
Hi,

try this...
settings > troubleshooting > avast!services after loading other system data.
Better?

Sorry for my englisch! ;)

Thanks for the advice!,i have what you suggested  enabled in settings.

southern man

ps english is good!

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 01:17:12 AM »
1. Thanks for the advice!,i have what you suggested  enabled in settings.

southern man

2. ps english is good!
1. Try this...Feedback would be fine. ;)
2. Thanks...  :) 8)

TerraX
Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB

Southern Man

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 01:47:10 AM »
1. Thanks for the advice!,i have what you suggested  enabled in settings.

southern man

2. ps english is good!
1. Try this...Feedback would be fine. ;)
2. Thanks...  :) 8)

TerraX

Sorry TerraX i badly explained myself!,i had what you suggested ALREADY ENABLED in settings previously,i just checked in avast,thanks anyway..,i tried to delay avast starting on bootup to 240 seconds,but not a lot of good,i think i need at least 5 minutes or longer delay plus when avast updates it does it at the most annoying time and freezes pc or prevents aprograms from opening e.g my computer/my videos ect ect,perhaps if as i posted better to set to manual updating unlees you another suggestion?

southern man

southern man

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 01:54:53 AM »
No contest it should be on Auto update for virus definitions (default setting).

I doubt that the suggested 'Load avast! services only after other system services' as this is not directly related to problems later in the boot, like the auto update check. For that you want to delay the first update check.

I suspect that it is a rather under powered CPU, though you have ample RAM; so yes you may have to extend the delay to 5 (300) or even 10 (600) minutes. Personally I don't think there is an all fired rush to get the first auto update.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:56:30 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Southern Man

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 02:06:54 AM »
No contest it should be on Auto update for virus definitions (default setting).

I doubt that the suggested 'Load avast! services only after other system services' as this is not directly related to problems later in the boot, like the auto update check. For that you want to delay the first update check.

I suspect that it is a rather under powered CPU, though you have ample RAM; so yes you may have to extend the delay to 5 (300) or even 10 (600) minutes. Personally I don't think there is an all fired rush to get the first auto update.

Thanks DavidR,my cpu is 1.8ghz or 2500 athlon barton,2 gb ram,the cpu is over 10 years old but seems to perform ok for now i will soon change my pc new one coming future,how do i set delay time first update check 5/6 minutes  as you recommend?,i will keep settings it as it is on currently on auto updates,thanks.

southern man

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
From your previous post (Reply #4) I thought you have already modified the avast5.ini file to 240.
Quote from: Southern Man
,i tried to delay avast starting on bootup to 240 seconds,but not a lot of good,i think i need at least 5 minutes or longer delay

So it is just a case of setting 240 to a higher 360 (6 minutes) or 600 (10 minutes).

- In avast7 you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini (XP file location)

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=360 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=360
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Southern Man

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
From your previous post (Reply #4) I thought you have already modified the avast5.ini file to 240.
Quote from: Southern Man
,i tried to delay avast starting on bootup to 240 seconds,but not a lot of good,i think i need at least 5 minutes or longer delay

So it is just a case of setting 240 to a higher 360 (6 minutes) or 600 (10 minutes).

- In avast7 you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini (XP file location)

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=360 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=360
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

Thanks DAVID.

southern man

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
You're welcome.