Author Topic: WebRep Crashing  (Read 32197 times)

mbf001

WebRep Crashing
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:40:57 AM »
23 November 2012

Last 2 days avast! WebRep is reported as crashing multiple times.
The popup balloon advises that I should click on the same popup to restart the extension.
I have done so many times and then restarted my pc.   
The fault still exists.

Anyone getting the same error?

Is there a fix I can apply?
If so, what is it?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:43:22 AM by mbf001 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: WebRep Crashing
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:20:17 AM »
What version of avast are you using and what browser is this happening with ?

Have you tried a repair via remove programs/Programs and Features ?

sa54

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »
I have the same problem. It is driving me nuts as it also really slows down my system. It took me 40 mins just to register for this site!

sa54

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »
Anti virus defintions version 121123-2
Program version 7.0.1474.

Haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling as do not want computer to be susceptible to  problems :(

Is there a fix?

Or is Avast aware of this and fixing it?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
Control Panel>Uninstall>double click "avast">scroll to and click "repair">reboot.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

fgalbreath

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:45:05 AM »
 "Avast WebRep has crashed"  Same thing has happened to me during the past few days.  Is there a fix?  I have recently started using Chrome.  Could this have anything to do with the problem.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »
"Avast WebRep has crashed"  Same thing has happened to me during the past few days.  Is there a fix?  I have recently started using Chrome.  Could this have anything to do with the problem.
No. I use Chrome with no issues. See my reply no. 4.  :)
The WebRep bars are at this time are grayed out.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

VicVegas

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »
I will note, WebRep doesn't always work correctly. At this moment all the bars are greyed out, though I actually highlighted the WebRep bars and noticed that it is stuck on the last site rating I gave myself. That's just weird. At other times it will show all sites in any search as having full bars, sometimes during a search WebRep doesn't show up at all. I think that WebRep  is just kinda "buggy" in general.

Edit: I don't know if it will help in this situation, but it is possible to uninstall and reinstall WebRep from "Additional Protection > Browser Protection" in the Avast interface.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:10:56 PM by VicVegas »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »
Edit: I don't know if it will help in this situation, but it is possible to uninstall and reinstall WebRep from "Additional Protection > Browser Protection" in the Avast interface.
Yes! If that doesn't work try reply #4  :)

Offline digmor crusher

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 06:16:13 AM »
Tried the repair, reboot, nothing. Works in IE but not Chrome. Between Webrep, Browser Protection and Safezone, none have worked correctly, so when subscription expires going back to free.

karterian

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
avast takes a minus 5 points (over 10) for just having webrep. It keeps on crashing and i've lost more data because of webrep then a virus attack.  (while it crashes the system "may" hang or the browser "may" crash with it)

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »
Open avast user interface' from the menu

...or double-click the desktop icon of installed avast! antivirus software to open the avast! user interface,

Click the 'ADDITIONAL PROTECTION' tab and from the unfolded submenu select 'WebRep'.

There you will see the list with the icons of supported Web browsers. Colored icons indicate Web Browsers present on your computer with the WebRep plugin installed, while gray icons indicate Web Browsers which are not present on your computer or have not the plugin installed.  to uninstall the plugin click 'Uninstall' next to the colored icon of your Web browser.and go to the option chrome extensions

open the browser chrome extensions tab
Open the folder files and programs> AVAST Software> Avast> WebRep> Chrome and find the file
AswWebRepChrome.crx drag and drop the file to the chrome extensions tab to pop up a window and click ok to add. ready.
check enabled and activated.

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 06:45:15 PM »
I have the same problem since few months
NourinE

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 11:13:25 PM »
I have the same problem since few months

try reinstalling the browser

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 11:40:12 PM »
I tried but no use, I have the same problem on two pcs.
NourinE