Author Topic: Archive is password protecataed  (Read 5941 times)

plumber

Archive is password protecataed
« on: February 10, 2005, 03:49:56 PM »
When Avast 4.5 scan is finished, I get a screen that list files unable to can and says "Archive is password protected."  I don't have a password or have protected it that I know of.  What does this mean?  I'm afraid there could be infections in these files since they are not scanned.

Spyros

Re: Archive is password protecataed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 04:01:24 PM »
A lot of programs create password protected files (like Spybot Search & Destroy, for example), in order to protect some of their own files.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 04:12:46 PM »
Give an example of some of the paths to the folder that is password protected.

As has been said there are many legitimate reasons for this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

plumber

Re: Archive is password protected
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 08:18:45 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  An example some of the files: C:\documents and setting\all users\application

with various ending such as: sbrecovery.ini    and administrator @advertising.

I do have SpyBot and Ad Aware on my computer

garyb

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 08:42:33 PM »
I think the full path name would be ...ApplicationData\Spybot...

Spybot backs up any entries it deletes in zip files there in case you find out you shouldn't have deleted them.  It zips them with a password so that other scanners like AdAware etc don't constantly spot them and register that you still have these spy/malwares on your system.  Avast (and any other scanners) can't access these files because of the password.

The administrator@advertising entry, for example, was probably a tracking cookie that you told Spybot to delete at some time.  If it wasn't zipped and locked with a password then every time you scanned with spybot or adaware... they'd detect it all over again.

There's no need to fear any infection from these - they're locked away quite safely.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 08:46:31 PM »
The sbrecovery.ini looks like the S&B recovery to roll back deletions you make and should be protected. You can however, clear out the Recovery items after a period to ensure they don't need to be recovered.

This looks suspicious to me 'administrator @advertising' unless you know what it is about.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

plumber

Re: Archive is password protected
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 08:58:39 PM »
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thank everyone for their help.