Author Topic: Error - The memory could not be written.  (Read 20908 times)

fhurst

Error - The memory could not be written.
« on: February 10, 2005, 10:35:47 PM »
For the past several days I've been seeing the following error after Windows  has entered the shutdown screen. The error is as follows: ---

Heading of error:  (ashServe.exe-Application Error) ---

Body of error:  (The instruction at "0x7c910e03" referenced memory at "0x00000000".  The memory could not be "written".  Click OK to terminate the program.). ---

Can anyone tell me what this problem is and what to do to correct it ?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Error - The memory could not be written.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 03:30:06 AM »
There are already multiple threads dealing with this. Please use the search option on this board before asking.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 11:32:37 AM »
Eddy, just did a search on this ... you are quite right that there are multiple threads on this.  Are you able to point fhurst to a thread that leads to a solution (other than abandoning Avast!)?

hpoehrli

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 01:20:11 PM »
Well now, wait a moment...
This warning message is discussed in a number of threads. There is NO solution yet, as Avast seems not in a position to reproduce the effect on their machines. But the high number of affected PC will eventually lead to a solution.
Actually: This seems to be a nuisance only, proper function of the PC or Avast seems not to be affected at all. ==> So there is no need to abandon Avast at all !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 01:40:02 PM »
If there is a program that is writing to log files, etc. then ashserv will do as it should scan created/modified files. So if this is happening at shut-down there is likely to be an error.

The trick is to find out what ashserv.exe is scanning, e.g. what other program is running. How you do that is a problem. A long time ago I kept getting a shut-down error written to the winXP event logs (I monitor this regularly), I never 100% found out why but installing a MS service uphclean.exe resolved it, no more errors on shut-down in the event logs.

Is this your solution, I really don't know.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hpoehrli

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 09:30:17 AM »
Dear DavidR
uphclean.exe can remove or prevent message to the Event Viewer which where created by the registry if not all handles were released.
The present problem here seems to be different, the error occurs very late  in the shutdown process, no dump-records are created, so far as I can see.
I usually close all user-applications before shutdown, so IF it must be a internal program that would be running at that time?
Actually I'm at a loss
==> The warning message is very disturbing to unskilled users. As with the above uphclean.exe it would help if the warning message could be suppressed somehow (as anyway after looking at it nothing can be done by a user). How could it be suppressed?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 12:59:30 PM »
I too, am at a loss, unless 'fhurst' can find some form of sniffer program that can monitor program activity something like process explorer (although this probably won't do it).

All I can suggest is he close down non essential programs and see what is still running and close them one at a time (and shutdown each time), a laborious process to try and identify after which program is closed the error goes away.

We haven't had any further feedback from him, we don't even know what OS he is using, or if he has given up!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 01:07:55 PM »
Hmm, even the latest beta doesn't solve this...? :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 06:28:01 PM »
I've gotten the same thing (error message) sometimes (4.5.561) -- but in my case, if I just wait a few seconds then my XP considers "silence is consent" and shuts down Ashserve by itself.

While there's no hard-and-fast pattern to it, I get the vague sense that it happens a little more often if I try to shutdown-restart while the Standard shield is paused, knowing that it'll be active again after the reboot.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 06:55:18 PM »
There have been many issues with win98 shutdown (and we still don't know what OS  is using)

This MS Knowledge base item may give some insight http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q238096/.

Is it possible to add a delay to windows shutdown, if so that may allow ashserv or other program to complete and not effect normal shutdown?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 07:05:05 PM »
An extract of the MS KB article above is
Antivirus Program
If you have an antivirus program that is configured to scan your floppy disk drive when you shut down your computer, your computer may stop responding. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
231666 Antivirus Program Causes Computer to Stop Responding When You Shut Down

Could it be that this is a potential cause is in fhurst's avast settings?

Another MS KB article Antivirus Program Causes Computer to Stop Responding When You Shut Down

hpoehrli

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 12:47:34 PM »
Dear Vlk
I'm sorry to report, that the latest Beta 4.6.595 has not solved the problem. Running W2K, I can see that this shutdown problem occurs mainly after the user has accessed functions of Avast, and only seldom (if ever?) if Avast has been just running by itself.
It is true: This is a nuisance only, without intervention the warning message disappears after maybe 20 sec and shutdown shortly afterwards terminates with no problem...still: For general users it's a problem!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 01:21:39 PM »
and only seldom (if ever?) if Avast has been just running by itself.
Depending on your setup and settings ofcourse, normalle Avast is always running since it is supposed to be working as a rsident scanner ;)

fhurst

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 09:26:49 PM »
There are already multiple threads dealing with this. Please use the search option on this board before asking.

Please, how do I go about doing this search. What do I type as a keyword, the error I quoted?

fhurst

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 09:45:26 PM »
I have another question.
I thought I was supposed to get notified by email that my post has recieved a reply. I have been waiting for an e-mail for quite some time, so I felt it was time to revisit the forum to see why noone had replied and I found quite a few replies after I finnally found my original post.
Is there a setting wherein I may request e-mail notification next time?

By the way, please don't be hard on  Eddy for doing his job. I know there are rules, and I am a visitor here.  I have to learn how to do these things if I am ever to become the least bit computer savy.

But I do have this to say in my defense. Avast Antivirus has been so reliable that this is only the second time I have ever had to be on this forum to get help. Practice makes perfect. So In light of this reliability I hope I never get perfect  on this forum.