Author Topic: TuneIn  (Read 6782 times)

win8

TuneIn
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »
The TuneIn app for windows 8 does not work there is a stream error in every station.
But I find an answear http://goo.gl/2P0ma that works fine.

Is this exclusion safe?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: TuneIn
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »
I have no idea if this first option would even work as I can find no exclusion for a process in the web shield, only exclusions for specific sites.

One of the problems for many streaming sites is that they do so over HTTP ports and don't stick strictly to HTTP protocols and that is what the web shield expects over those ports that it is redirecting into its localhost proxy to scan the content.

So I don't know if this is an issue with a win8 app or the site streaming the Radio.

Does the app run independently of the browser, e.g. in its own window not your browser ?
If so you can have avast's web shield only 'Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only' in the web shield expert settings Main settings window. That however, would also exclude other apps/programs other than browsers connecting to the internet, so could increase the risk.

You could use the avastUI, Settings, Troubleshooting, Redirect Settings, WEB and enter the IP address for the streaming site in the Ignored addresses: field. This effectively that it doesn't redirect that IP through the web shield proxy, where as adding the domain to the web shield exclusions (as suggested in the link you gave) still gets redirected through the proxy I believe, but doesn't get scanned. So this may not have the desired effect, e.g. no interaction with the web shield proxy.

My suggested option would be setting the IP address in the Ignored addresses field.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

win8

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 02:28:54 PM »
Both the exclusions "tunein.exe" and yours "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" do the job on my laptop.
Between these two the first I understand is more safer.
The troubleshooting is too technical to me!

Thanks for the attention.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »
You're welcome.

It doesn't have to be too technical, you just need to find the IP address of the site that it accesses (that must be known) if that is a domain name streaming_site.com any whois query on the domain name would reveal the IP address (http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer or other Whois search).

But, yes excluding tunein.exe would be safer than the "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security