Author Topic: Non Avast Related / This is weird. Added Nov. 30  (Read 9569 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
Non Avast Related / This is weird. Added Nov. 30
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »
Just wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of or used this program.

http://majorgeeks.com/Toolwiz_Time_Freeze_d7421.html

Didn't want to start another thread but something weird is going on with my computer.  No ad/spyware or virus but for the past 2 days when I've had to restart my computer my default browser has changed from Firefox to IE10.  I reset it back to FF but just wondering how this could happen.  Also, I was logged onto the forum this morning, tried to download an add on to FF, had to restart my browser and when I got back on the forum it showed my password was wrong so had to enter my email address so I could get a new one. 

Any ideas about what might be causing this?

BTW..........FF would let me install the add on.

Running Windows 7 SP1 64 bit and I've only had this computer for 6 months.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:18:16 PM by -midnight »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Non Avast Related
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:56:53 PM »
Never tried it but the program that contains this feature, ToolWiz
was outlined at:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19387.msg859281#msg859281
You're smart to ask about experience in using this feature because it could potentially
mess up your system.
I suggest making an Image backup before trying it.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:02:53 PM »
Thank you.  I'm not going to try it.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:09:20 PM »
It is amazing as how -midnight could always come up with these rare exotic non-typical tools & proggies, just to hear here to better leave them alone, as bob3160 has great knowledge of what not better allow on your comp...remarkable, remarkable...

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:36:22 PM »
At least I asked before downloading the program.   I found the link somewhere on the forum today.

adotd

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:42:19 PM »
Was it mine?? 8)

Its is a quite handy tool, i havent really tested the program but what i have read it is quiet a good tool.

I wouldnt recommend it to a normal computer user, i would recommend it to a experienced users like IT techs etc....

BE CAREFULL WITH THIS PROGRAM

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »
@-midnight
yes but why?, what is it you use your computer fore?.....is it program testing / experiments?
or is it just surfing the web and reading mail?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »
@-midnight
yes but why?, what is it you use your computer fore?.....is it program testing / experiments?
or is it just surfing the web and reading mail?

I use it surfing the web, reading mail, online banking, Facebook, searches amongst other things.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »
then why the heck do you fiddel around with all those programs you dont understand diddly about and have absolutely no need fore  ::)

adotd

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »
Puts the actual system under protection and creates a virtual environment for system partition.

As stated above it creates a virtual enviroment, anything you do on it will be destroyed.

Lets say you was doing a letter and you saved it to your PC, and you rebooted your file will be gone :)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 12:17:56 AM »
then why the heck do you fiddel around with all those programs you dont understand diddly about and have absolutely no need fore  ::)

I downloaded Avast which I didn't really know much about at the time.  Did I not need  that?  I download some programs simply because I want them. 

So far I've never gotten a virus from any of the programs I've downloaded.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:02:37 AM by -midnight »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 12:24:29 AM »
Users that work within a VM or a sandbox are mainly security aware users or security savvy researchers that want to dissect issues without some malcode creeping out of that VM or sandbox. In this way I use Malzilla browser that comes as sort of a  VM, and also a tool like jsunpack is handled safest with a script blocker, a request policy extension and run from a browser inside a sandbox. Some browsers have kind of sandbox qualities (e.g. Google Chrome) but not for all parts and all dlls. There are script blocker that are adding loads of additional security and of course the blocking of our highly praised avast shields together with google safebrowser blocks and alerts, etc. also helps. To make sure everything is all clear I end such a browser session with an avast scan of all of the browser file location. But the best strategy is to "cold reconnaisance scan" or dissect or analyze a suspicious URL or piece of code, so never actually going to meet the dangerous code directly and first hand. I would never even try to experiment with a file infector or go somewhere without fully updated and patched OS and third party software. Safe hex, my friends, sort of an attitude, but you have to accustom to this approach...

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

adotd

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:35:40 AM »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »
+1

@ -midnight,

Need to be careful of what you choose to download and run on your system. 

Case in point:  A computer user on another forum needed to get restore disks for their computer when it became literally unusable due to a serious malware infection.  They went and got the restore disks said to be for their exact system from eBay, possibly because they did not know of a better alternative.

Restore disks installed fine, the Windows key was accepted, but they could not get the needed security updates from Microsoft Updates, no matter what they tried.

Turned out the seller sold them a cracked version of Windows, and Microsoft views such copies as illegal, and will not allow updates to ever occur on such a system.  So, they wasted their time, and gave their money away to a disreputable seller.

In this case, one should always go to the vendor of the computer system, and nowhere else, to get the needed restore disks.

Do you have WOT installed in your browsers?  This add-on alone will help you tremendously in judging whether a site you want to visit is safe or not, and will also even block a bad or dangerous site from even loading in your browser.

If all you use your computer for is to surf the internet, get your email, online banking, and/or Facebook, you do not really need to place or install a Virtual Machine on your system.  I also would be careful also what I downloaded or ran because I did online banking; Trojans are known to infect user's computers solely to snare a user's banking credentials.  Result: Their account is cleaned out.

Simply put, a Trojan is a program stating it is one thing when in reality it is something else.  Not even I can be 100% sure that a program is what it says it is, so I always take certain precautions before I download and install it.

Just so you know.

EDIT:  Fixed typos.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:56:22 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »
+1

@ -midnight,

Need to be careful of what you choose to download and run on your system. 

Case in point:  A computer user on another forum needed to get restore disks for their computer when it became literally unusable due to a serious malware infection.  They went and got the restore disks said to be for their exact system from eBay, possibly because they did not know of a better alternative.

Restore disks installed fine, the Windows key was accepted, but they could not get the needed security updates from Microsoft Updates, no matter what they tried.

Turned out the seller sold them a cracked version of Windows, and Microsoft views such copies as illegal, and will not allow updates to ever occur on such a system.  So, they wasted their time, and gave their money away to a disreputable seller.

In this case, one should always go to the vendor of the computer system, and nowhere else, to get the needed restore disks.

Do you have WOT installed in your browsers?  This add-on alone will help you tremendously in judging whether a site you want to visit is safe or not, and will also even block a bad or dangerous site from even loading in your browser.

If all you use your computer for is to surf the internet, get your email, online banking, and/or Facebook, you do not really need to place or install a Virtual Machine on your system.  I also would be careful also what I downloaded or ran because I did online banking; Trojans are known to infect user's computers solely to snare a user's banking credentials.  Result: Their account is cleaned out.

Simply put, a Trojan is a program stating it is one thing when in reality it is something else.  Not even I can be 100% sure that a program is what it says it is, so I always take certain precautions before I download and install it.

Just so you know.

EDIT:  Fixed typos.

@mchain

I am careful about what I download.  Run a Malware scan every day and usually scan my computer at least every other day. 

I've been using online banking for years and so far have never had any problems.  I also shop online, again with no problems.

For some reason Firefox won't allow me to add WOT.  I have several other security extensions on FF.

Many years ago I clicked on freepresent.com and a few days later my bank called and asked if I had bought $1500.00 worth of merchandise on EBay and at that time I had never ever even heard of EBay.  Had a lot of overdraft fees but thankfully our bank refunded the money back into our checking account.  Never did find out who bought the stuff on EBay.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:39:44 AM by -midnight »