Author Topic: Windows 7 Crashing  (Read 2711 times)

leneee

Windows 7 Crashing
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:55:03 AM »
Hi:

I installed Avast today; and it keeps crashing my machine. I am running Win 7 x64 on a Sony VAIO. I uninstalled it and things seem back to normal.

I was previously using McFree and AVG, but uninstalled both and still no luck.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas ?

Thanks!

Nesivos

Re: Windows 7 Crashing
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 04:38:22 AM »
Hi:

I installed Avast today; and it keeps crashing my machine. I am running Win 7 x64 on a Sony VAIO. I uninstalled it and things seem back to normal.

I was previously using McFree and AVG, but uninstalled both and still no luck.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas ?

Thanks!

Did you use the McAfee and AVG uninstaller software to uninstall them?.   McAfree in particular leaves a lot of garbage on your computer if you use the Windows or a 3rd Party uninstaller to uninstall it.

Someone else should be along who can tell you what tools to use to completely uninstall McAfee and AVG.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:16:36 AM »
Go here to download and run the uninstallers for McAfee and AVG. Then try to install Avast.

http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:56:09 AM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

TheHulk

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
You not alone

having the same problem on my windows 7 64bit machine

did use the cleaning tools and still no luck

now with AVG....

leneee

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »
Hi all:

Thanks so much for the help. I tried using the clean-up tools; but still no luck. I really want to try Avast, as it is o highly rated on CNET. But, guess I will have to revert to AVG. :(

Cheers!

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:08:02 AM »
hi leneee & TheHulk,

It is important that the singularlabs link be used for every prior version of a/v ever present on a system.  McAfee, in particular, must have their removal tool run more than once (like three or four times) to ensure it is completely gone.  Learned from experience here and from others about this one.  One shot does not do it sometimes.

After each run, reboot!

You do have the option of having a malware expert look your system over to remove any old a/v remnant files left behind as well.  If you are interested in pursuing that venue, then post back if you want.  We do not care if you come in saying you are currently running Norton, help will still be rendered to you.

Of course, do all work whilst offline, to ensure safety.

If you feel up to it, and know what you are doing, you can use Microsoft's Autoruns utility to look for drivers starting on boot related to prior a/v's installed.  Research the driver names using this site:  http://www.threatexpert.com/  Use the site search button to confirm your driver is indeed left over from an old a/v.  Reports are available for clean as well as malicious files.

Google is also helpful here.

Autoruns here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx  Don't do overmuch with this utility; if system is running ok then least minimum needed is best.  Some drivers you must leave alone, as they are critical for the proper functioning of Windows.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801