Author Topic: Avast free AV & Comodo firewall  (Read 12132 times)

ManFromOz

Avast free AV & Comodo firewall
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:44 AM »
Hi Avast! Community,

My first post here, so please be kind.

I've just installed Avast! free on a Windows7 SP1 x64 machine with Comodo firewall with Defense + disabled.  I've been reading about compatibility issues and am no texpert, so I'm hoping these issues have been sorted.  As an average end-user, can I trust that my system is secure using Avast! free with Comodo firewall?

I have MBAM and SAS free versions installed for on-demand, second opinion scans.

TIA,
ManFromOz

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast free AV & Comodo firewall
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
You'll have to ask Comodo about those issues as the problem was on there end and I don't think it will be rectified until there next version release, Outpost and Online Armor will give you more reliable trouble free compatibility imo.

ManFromOz

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »
Thanks,

I didn't ask for a he said/she said.  I asked "can I trust that my system is secure using Avast! free with Comodo firewall?"

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »

I've been reading about compatibility issues and am no texpert, so I'm hoping these issues have been sorted. 
This is the section of your post I was referring too, so it stands to reason that if the in-compatibilities are still there would you trust it ?

Aventador

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
D+ is the backbone of Comodo and always has been. Without D+ Comodo is pretty much worthless. Better off with Windows 7 Firewall and router with NAT.

ManFromOz

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
D+ is the backbone of Comodo and always has been. Without D+ Comodo is pretty much worthless. Better off with Windows 7 Firewall and router with NAT.

OK and thanks.  As I've mentioned, I am technically challenged and the reason I've disable D+ is because Windows Action Center reports there is a conflict with Avast! free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
...I've disable D+ is because Windows Action Center reports there is a conflict with Avast! free.

There should be no problem/conflict with D+, what does the WAC report..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

iroc9555

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »
...I've disable D+ is because Windows Action Center reports there is a conflict with Avast! free.

I believe WAC in W7 detects Avast! antispyware and Comodo D+ Antispyware. I had an user in the Spanish forum asking me the same at the beginnig of this year. She attached the picture below. Do not ask why her OS is in French and she was in the Spanish Forum. I still don't know  :o

@ ManFromOz

You need to do some exclusions:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=109571.msg863496#msg863496

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »
I believe WAC in W7 detects Avast! antispyware and Comodo D+ Antispyware.

??? ?? D+ is a HIPS..!! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

iroc9555

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:45:54 PM »
I believe WAC in W7 detects Avast! antispyware and Comodo D+ Antispyware.

??? ?? D+ is a HIPS..!! ;)

Yes, but according to Valentin N and Chiron, Execution Control Setting does heuristic analysis and perform cloud based behavior for certain applications and unrecognized files, and this can be seeing for WAC as an antispyware behavior. Mind you not all W7 show this behavior with Comodo and Avast! or another AV so it is recommended to uninstall Comodo, using RevoUninstaller and this tool and install again just Comodo Firewall free. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:53:14 PM by iroc9555 »

ManFromOz

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »

I believe WAC in W7 detects Avast! antispyware and Comodo D+ Antispyware. I had an user in the Spanish forum asking me the same at the beginnig of this year. She attached the picture below. Do not ask why her OS is in French and she was in the Spanish Forum. I still don't know  :o

@ ManFromOz

You need to do some exclusions:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=109571.msg863496#msg863496

WAC said there was two or more antispyware programs running which can slow your system etc etc.

Thanks for everyone's help, but if I need to make exclusions then there must be some overlap.  Many may disagree with me, but I think I,ll keep D+ off, at least for now.

Cheers,
ManfromOz

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:02:52 PM »
Yes, but according to Valentin N and Chiron, Execution Control Setting does heuristic analysis and perform cloud based behavior for certain applications and unrecognized files, and this can be seeing for WAC as an antispyware behavior.

Interesting, maybe I should test the newer version(s), or better not. ;D

Many may disagree with me, but I think I,ll keep D+ off, at least for now.

That's up to you. Problem solved.

Aventador

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »

OK and thanks.  As I've mentioned, I am technically challenged and the reason I've disable D+ is because Windows Action Center reports there is a conflict with Avast! free.
\

With that said any type of 3rd party firewall is too much. You are perfectly safe with Windows 7 Firewall.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »
With that said any type of 3rd party firewall is too much. You are perfectly safe with Windows 7 Firewall.
I disagree with both statements. The reason is the leading third party firewalls provide better HIPS than Win7 firewall.
I use Private Firewall for a reason, it has way better protection than Win7 firewall. Comodo, Outpost, Online Armor and Private Firewall
outperform Win7 Firewall in the GRC "Shields Up" test.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Arnold72

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
I disagree with both statements. The reason is the leading third party firewalls provide better HIPS than Win7 firewall.
I use Private Firewall for a reason, it has way better protection than Win7 firewall. Comodo, Outpost, Online Armor and Private Firewall
outperform Win7 Firewall in the GRC "Shields Up" test.  :)
I do not agree with your statement about PFW.it is the worst firewall i can imagine and looks cheapish.just look at the thread at wilders about it. :o