Author Topic: Switching from Avast Free to paid version..(trial period)  (Read 3446 times)

smitty2868

Switching from Avast Free to paid version..(trial period)
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »
Hi

I recently entered the 20 day trial period for the upgrade after over a year of Avast's free version. I relied on it and was extremely happy with how it performed.

Now, after downloading the upgraded version webpages load appreciably slower. I am really not sure how to configure Avast and am extending the monetary support I think they deserve but on a small netbook it seems their default settings reduce my capabilities. Is it possible to donate the money instead and return to the less intrusive version that was downloaded?

I realize I can do this but feel somewhat obligated for their service. Perhaps Avast's settings have something to do with webpage loading and video rendering.

Thanks for any/all responses

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Switching from Avast Free to paid version..(trial period)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 07:23:29 PM »
So others can possibly help please: What OS do you run? What product/version of Avast?
Any other security software installed? :)

smitty2868

Re: Switching from Avast Free to paid version..(trial period)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 01:15:21 AM »

Thanks for your response.

Sorry about that, i didn't think it was necessary.

Windows XP on Aspire One 1.6 ghz 2 gig memory

Use all Firefox line..Firefox, Aurora, Nightly, Pale Moon, Cometbird , SeaMonkey
Use all Google line..Chrome, Canary, SuperBird (Chromium Plus)
Use all Opera line..opera, Opera Next, Opera Labs SPDY
Use all Comodo line..Dragon and Ice Dragon
And ocassionally use Safari, Lunascape6, and Kylo

Notice slow down mostly on Firefox lines.

I'M a bit of a browser buff.  I notice version 7.0.1474 has 10 shields instead of previous version which had 8. 
Also notice afwServ.exe in Task Manager that didn't run in older (free) version. I don't use a mail client (Outlook)
so I have disabled Mail Shield.  Avast looks so uncomfortable with exclamation mark..haha

Perhaps there are some settings I could change/enable/disable which might help a bit. I read instructions but
rarely understand them.

smitty