Author Topic: Avast and BT Internet  (Read 41312 times)

38Special

Re: Avast and BT Internet
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 08:48:45 PM »
Eddy,

Thanks for that, I just couldn't understand what/where I was going wrong.

I will test it and all that and let you know.

Anne
38Special

lee16

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 08:53:37 PM »
ahhh, there using SMTP, im with you, thought you were talking about the encripted version  :-[, sorry for the mix up

--lee

38Special

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 12:30:03 AM »
Eddy,

I did everything asked correctly ... I cut and pasted to print off ... and it didn't work and didn't want to.

It's totally messed up my yahoo settings which I now have to reset! So I'm not a happy person ... I couldn't even get up any user name settings on Outlook Express or passwords when I connected to the internet ... I didn't even get as far as I normally get, so what now?!?!?!

I want to use Avast but something in either 98SE or Avast is conflicting ... don't ask what, I have absolutely no idea!

Anne
38Special

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 12:44:28 AM »
Real strange :-\
But we are not gonna give up ;)

- remove avast using the uninstall util that you can find HERE
- reboot
- setup the mail as your provider instructs you
- test the mail

If the mail is working at this point:
- install Avast
- reboot (Avast will ask you to reboot)
- say yes when avast ask to protect your mail accounts
- test the mail

Let us know what happens after each of the above steps or if it goes wrong,
let us know where exactly it goes wrong and mention any error you are getting.

Good luck and take your time.

inthewildteam

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 01:01:35 AM »
@ Eddy,

I think this might be the email programme 38Special is using

http://www.btopenworld.com/mail

The "find out more" and "I'm new to email" links might give a handle on the settings to assist in your trouble shooting viv-a-vis avast! settings.  Can't help much myself as I'm cable here in U.K.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 01:07:57 AM »
Yeah, I already had a look at that.
Outlook Express (POP/SMTP) and webmail based email access
So it should work without problems.

HERE is the standard setup for Yahoo with OE.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 01:10:15 AM by Eddy »

38Special

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 01:10:00 AM »
to inthewildteam ...

I actually use BT Internet through BTYahoo and it's not the webmail. I use the Premium mail service to be able to open my mail in Outlook Express 6 which IS THE mail program ... NOT BT ... they have not developed their own email program YET!!!

You admit you're on cable NOT BT Broadband proper

38Special

peter1

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 01:10:36 AM »
ahhh, there using SMTP, im with you, thought you were talking about the encripted version  :-[, sorry for the mix up

Lee

Anne uses the paid for BT premium email service and for all I know they might be encrypted. Eddy is of on another path but I still think if she reverted to the ordinary email service, and saved some money as well, everything would work out. 8)

Peter

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2005, 01:16:11 AM »
38special,

can you confirm that the links provided by inthewildteam and me are indeed applying to your account?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 01:18:28 AM »
@ Eddy,

I think this might be the email programme 38Special is using

http://www.btopenworld.com/mail

The "find out more" and "I'm new to email" links might give a handle on the settings to assist in your trouble shooting viv-a-vis avast! settings. Can't help much myself as I'm cable here in U.K.

I looked at that and comparing the free and premium service and I couldn't see any reference to SSL or anything that may be vaguely connected with this problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

peter1

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2005, 01:19:08 AM »
You admit you're on cable NOT BT Broadband proper /quote]

Yea Anne I know it's blo*dy hard to knit with BT Broadband.

Anne go easy with them they're trying to help. ;D

You're never this aggressive in the forums :D

Peter :P

inthewildteam

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2005, 01:25:10 AM »
@ 38Special

On NtHell cable (for my sins)

A quick question, did you set up your net access manually or use a BT supplied cd?   Specifically your email accounts?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2005, 01:32:20 AM »
Did some more checking in the help and support pages http://www.btopenworld.com/mail/helpandsupport and these are the mail servers.

9. What are my mail servers?

Your Incoming Mail (POP3) = mail.btinternet.com
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) = mail.btinternet.com

And item 13. How do I configure Outlook Express to receive my BT Yahoo! Premium Mail? (ominous or what)
http://www.btopenworld.com/faqs/manual_email_setup

Again nothing there out of the ordinary (other than it is for OE version 5 sooo old) a pretty bog standard email account set-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

38Special

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2005, 01:44:03 AM »
38special,

can you confirm that the links provided by inthewildteam and me are indeed applying to your account?

Eddy, no they don't. I'm with www.btinternet.com and have been for about 4 to 5 years. That's why I got slightly uptight with him ... the setting on cable are slightly different to BTBroadband which I got into in Sept 03 when all bar the modem was free ...

With regard to using Premium mail, I am using it because if you use the free one, the basic one, it doesn't download the emails to a user's PC anymore ... hasn't done since last November.

If you have a Basic account you can only view and answer your mail online and with the volume I get, my inbox would never be empty and would get so full my account would be closed down ...

Peter, just seen your mail about NTHell(it is, isn't it) I left them to come to BT and had no problems until I attempted to use Avast last year.
I set it up the mail accounts manually ... you have to with the Broadband package I'm on [£25 - 1p] ... you don't email accounts with it, hence the premium mail .... I was using BtInternet.com for my mail long before BT changed stuff ... for over 2 yrs which is why BtInternet and not Openworld ... a friend is on Openworld and has lots of problems, even though she is now on the very Basic broadband whereas I have had not one problem apart from this.

I am disabled with a spine problem and as such cannot sit at my PC for the hours I would have to if I used basic mail ...

thanks Peter and Eddy ...
If you can access my email addy can you write to me private cos at moment in time been here for nearly [on PC] nearly 2 hrs and I'm in total agony  :(

Anne
38Special

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2005, 01:54:42 AM »
Take the rest you need, than come back here. There is no need to rush and we got patience. We want to see this solved just as you do.