Author Topic: Avast and BT Internet  (Read 41165 times)

38Special

Re: Avast and BT Internet
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2005, 01:58:55 AM »
Thanks Eddy,

See you sometime tomorrow, probably a bit earlier than tonite but it will be after 9pm ... it's an hour of Eastenders then ... not missing that!  ;)

By the way ... what regiment? I thought I might know the badge but not instinct enough ...

Anne

inthewildteam

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2005, 02:04:56 AM »
Echo Eddy's thoughts.  ;)

peter1

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2005, 02:13:11 AM »
Take the rest you need, than come back here. There is no need to rush and we got patience. We want to see this solved just as you do.

Eddy

I'm with you on that. I've conversed with Anne elsewhere for a while but never knew of the physical problems. I want to sort it out too thats why I introduced it here, after all I recommended Avast to her.

Anne this may sound silly but why are you using BT broadband? There are cheaper ones giving  you a better service that includes an email address that will let you download your emails, screened by Avast, in OE.

Peter

38Special

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2005, 12:04:00 AM »
Evening guys,
    I went with BT Broadband because
a) it was free for so many months and
b) I don't have a credit card or debit card and I can pay this package on my phone bill which is paid every 4 weeks.
c) I already had a dial--up account with BT and it was so much easier to sign up for without all the hassle of changing telecom/Internet provider. Also my dial-up Anytime accout was the same account I have now. It was transferred at the time. The basic accounts downloaded to the OE6 until October 03. BT changed settings for the Basic one and to get my mail downloaded to OE6, it was switch to Premium or there was no mail to OE6 and my husband has a sub-account and it's doesn't cost him anything ...

I had a real bad time with NTL before all this and I'd had a real bad experience trying to leave NTHell.

Does this all help because it was at the same time that Avast played up? I just don't know what they changed but all BT Internet/Openworld customers had to download a change in settings or lose their accounts.

I heard from the support people today and they told me the same as I'd already had from you guys. Took them long enough! hehehe

Anne

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2005, 12:25:05 AM »
I heard from the support people today and they told me the same as I'd already had from you guys.
See how fast the support is on this board :D
They needed to read this board first before they could tell you ;D ;D ;D

Anyway back to your problem.
I asked some friends of mine over in the UK who have BT and they all confirmed that Avast and BT work fine together. (no mather what account)

peter1

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2005, 12:51:10 AM »
I asked some friends of mine over in the UK who have BT and they all confirmed that Avast and BT work fine together. (no mather what account)

Eddy

That might be the case but it doesn't help Anne. :(

I brought the subject up here to try to find a solution for her and telling her it works for other peeps is not really solving her problem.

Ask your UK friends to forget BT's normal ISP email service and check if BT's Premium, encrypted, paid for email service is compatible with Avast scanning emails. I think that's where the problem lies.

Anne have you ever tried using a HotMail address, its free, and can be downloaded in OE?

Peter

Hopismum

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2005, 12:54:43 AM »

Anne have you ever tried using a HotMail address, its free, and can be downloaded in OE?

Peter

Butting in here. 

Peter,  Im afraid that would be a temporary fix.  MSN announced weeks ago they are going
to begin charging, just has Yahoo did, if you want to us OE to download your Hotmail.

see here:

http://www.internetweek.com/breakingNews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47903173
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 12:56:25 AM by connie »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2005, 01:00:21 AM »
Ask your UK friends to forget BT's normal ISP email service and check if BT's Premium, encrypted, paid for email service is compatible with Avast scanning emails. I think that's where the problem lies.
1] Some of them have Premium
2] It is not encrypted or the information you and 38special gave us wasn't right
3] I think the problem is just in a small setting (unless we where feeded with wrong information)

38Special

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2005, 01:03:43 AM »

Eddy

That might be the case but it doesn't help Anne. :(

I brought the subject up here to try to find a solution for her and telling her it works for other peeps is not really solving her problem.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter.
   I do have a Hotmail address a .com one not the new .co.uk one and Connie, it is still free to old customers like myself but that is not a solution to have all my mail going to one main address ... especially with the Yahoo groups that I belong to ... they all generate a big amout of emails, whether personal or digest and I don't allow my main email addy to be shown at those places. I've had Hotmail about 8 yrs now.

Hotmail still needs to use BT Internet to download mail and it isn't added to Avast.

Anne
38Special

38Special

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2005, 01:06:39 AM »
1] Some of them have Premium
2] It is not encrypted or the information you and 38special gave us wasn't right
3] I think the problem is just in a small setting (unless we where feeded with wrong information)

Eddy,

It is a small setting but I don't know which one ... all the info I gave you is correct as I know it.

Do the ports have to be changed?

Anne
38Special

38Special

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »
Afternoon Guys ...
 ... right, re-tried Avast 4 today and this is what I got when all mail failed to connect.
 Error Message :- "The connection to the server has failed. Account 'BT Internet, Server '127.0.01', Protocol: POP3, Port:110, Secure (SSL) : No.
Socket Error 10061, Error Number :- 0x800CCC0E"    >:(

:(      Does this help to find what is wrong? I didn't have Avast set up to run immediately as I wanted to add it to ZoneAlarm before I went online but I didn't get chance to add it because I couldn't find the avast.exe to add to ZoneAlarm ... so it could have been that but I checked and it was added and allowed so it wasn't that.
I've disabled Avast for now.

Anne
38Special

lee16

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2005, 03:43:03 PM »
Ahh yes, it does.

Please see here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q191687

It seems outlook is the problem, try doing as suggested on the web page.  ;)

--lee

38Special

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2005, 04:49:30 PM »
Ahh yes, it does.

Please see here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q191687

It seems outlook is the problem, try doing as suggested on the web page.  ;)

--lee

No Lee, that wasn't the problem because as soon as I disabled Avast and reset all my settings to what they are without Avast ... It Worked!!!

The problem isn't OE6 that I do know because everything is A-Okay when not using Avast and as I said all along my system just doesn't seem to like Avast, but I'm determined to find out why Avast doesn't work and just as determined to get it work if at all possibly

38Special

lee16

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2005, 05:11:20 PM »
OK, that error you got basically meant that email was being blocked (maybe by avast).

I take it you are using the latest version of both outlook and avast (4.6.603).

Is there a icon showing (ashmai) when you try to receive your mail? (it will be near your system clock).

--lee

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2005, 05:34:27 PM »
lee
You say outlook but she's using OE:
The problem isn't OE6
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet