Author Topic: Avast Not Updating Current Version  (Read 12902 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast Not Updating Current Version
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
@DavidR. Thanks, I could not get back. :)

Offline The Sniggler

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »
I had been using Avast for years. When 7 first came out, I tried to install and it ate my old XP machine. Had to put AVG on there and I was just able to put the latest version of Avast on successfully with your help.
I will let it run for a few days to see how stable it is and then get up the courage to install it on my Win7 machine.  I have Avast 6 on now and no problems.

Again, thanks for all your support and advice. It is nice to have Avast back.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
hi Sniggler,

To help ensure updating has as few problems as possible, try this:

Go here to insure no remnants of old uninstalled a/v programs were left behind by a Windows uninstall:  http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/  Some vendor tools, such as McAfee or Norton, must be run more than once.  Reboot after each run.

To perform a totally clean install of new version of Avast! here:  (EDIT:  Uninstall Avast! in normal admin mode using Programs and Features first)
Reason for a clean install:  Version 6 has older different files and program features than version 7, and updating within the GUI will sometimes result in the sort of problems you had earlier with your XP system.  Slow Win7 booting, program hangs, etc., can result.

I know it is more work, but Version 7 is a major upgrade from Version 6, and whilst it is usually OK to upgrade within a version number, best strategy is to remove version 6 completely, reboot, and then install version 7.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:27:09 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762) UI version 1.0.797

Offline The Sniggler

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:38 PM »
Thanks.... I have had my Win7 PC for almost a year. I immediatley removed McAfee with the McAfee tool. Avast is the only AV product I have used, Version 6, failed Version 7, and then back to Version 6 which I am using now. When I get up the courage, I will try again Version 7.

I appreciate all the help on this forum!!![/b]

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »
In my experience, running the McAfee tool another two or even three more times is sufficient, even tho you have run it once already.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762) UI version 1.0.797

Offline The Sniggler

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 02:50:10 PM »
Good thing I waited to remove Avast 6 and try to install Avast 7 on my main Win 7 machine.

Today, on backup XP machine, Avast 7 does not successfully download today's virus defs. Connects with server OK, then nothing. Just 9s. 

Avast 6 no probs,

Looks like I am sticking with Avast 6 for awhile.

rainbow_warrior

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 11:33:35 PM »
I have a similar problem on my Pentium 3 desktop running XP on 378 M of RAM.  Recently I didn't use it much because it doesn't have a cable or a wifi adapter, but previously it was updating automatically on the dial-up service.  It still attempts to update as soon as dial-up connection is established, but now it fails.  When trying manual update, it hangs up on initializing at 0% complete, either for definition or program update.  I downloaded the latest setup file to a flash drive last month and reinstalled, but the updating behavior is the same.

I am not familiar with the term OA in the previous posts, but Google said it means office automation?

Thanks for any help.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »
I have a similar problem on my Pentium 3 desktop running XP on 378 M of RAM.  Recently I didn't use it much because it doesn't have a cable or a wifi adapter, but previously it was updating automatically on the dial-up service.  It still attempts to update as soon as dial-up connection is established, but now it fails.  When trying manual update, it hangs up on initializing at 0% complete, either for definition or program update.  I downloaded the latest setup file to a flash drive last month and reinstalled, but the updating behavior is the same.

I am not familiar with the term OA in the previous posts, but Google said it means office automation?

Thanks for any help.

'OA' is referring to "Online Armor" Security program.(Firewall) 8)