Author Topic: Is this site safe?  (Read 26367 times)

TuckerX

Re: Is this site safe?
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2012, 12:33:18 AM »
Well just in case ill go run a scan on my antivirus tomorrow. I did take you information and uninstalled one of them. I didnt know that it could effect their scanning!
Edit: what do you mean when you say: For the site you mention I get a Bad Request for  wXw.44andahalf.com/../scripts/swfobject.js
                       [decodingLevel=0] found JavaScript
                       error: undefined variable swfobject
                  error: undefined function swfobject.embedSWF
                 error: line:3: SyntaxError: missing = in XML attribute:

is that ok to ignore or were you talking about everything in general(the quttera scans also) is safe to ignore?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:25:19 AM by TuckerX »

TuckerX

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
Polonus I have edited my post incase you didnt see it. Thanks for your help but thats my last question that i kbow of.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »
Hi TuckerX,

Well let us anser this last question also as good as we can. The Quttera scans all the files heuristically. If it detects something out of the ordinairy it flags that anomality. That could be a cript that runs slightly longer as expected or has some aspects of suspicious files.
These finds are not real malicious files. They could be suspicious or something not earlier detected, but then it should be supported from other scans. I never go by the results of one scanner, I use quite a plethora depending on what I expect to find or not to find there. You can also run an URL through a javascript unpacker scan service. Same story there unexpected hick-ups are found as potentially suspicious. So in the previousd example of "external-interface-and-swfobject-js" if you invoke it there it throws up an error in javascript and that is flagged by the analysis (some parameter was not set or the developer forgot about that). So we are not talking about severe logical errors here and so as you put it we can easily ignore these code hick-ups.
If we had a report from a sucuri's scan or a wepawet scan about malicious content found or a blacklisting status of the site or a WOT bad web report, that would mean quite another kettle of "phish" and of course I would have reported that here.
Dissecting these potential website threats or finding they aren't there can be fun,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

TuckerX

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
Hi polonus,                                                                                                                                                                Thanks for all the help. You answered my questions and you gave me helpful advice about using av scanners and general malware info. I should be safe then.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
Hi TuckerX,

I never doubted that. But I hope that you and others that ploughed through this thread have learnt a bit about anti-malware scanning.
Learn about these things and know how to protect yourself and then feel more secure...

polonus

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
Hi TuckerX,

And just something further reassuring fot you when on a Mac: http://blog.sucuri.net/2012/11/new-google-chrome-blacklist-warning-for-macs.html
sucuri blog article author = David Dede

polonus

TuckerX

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
Thanka for that article polonus. I ran my antivirus and it didnt find anything on my computer. I did exclude my external drive though. Should i scan my external drive too incase malware could get onto it? I have a wd smartware/my book external drive that I hookup to laptops.(my families) it only has some backups and other things like music on it.

TuckerX

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »
Could you answer this question?^ thought of it when i was acanning because it took way to long for mr to scan the external drive. Dont want to waste time when im busy!