Author Topic: You are trying to use an old version of the avast! setup  (Read 6573 times)

vsub

You are trying to use an old version of the avast! setup
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:06:53 AM »
Any idea why I'm getting this.
I uninstalled avast(1426)couple of days ago(using Add\Remove Programs)and now when I try to install the same version by using the same installer,I get this error and then avast begin downloading the newest version.

I don't know why but I still don't get positive feeling about anything newer than 1426 so I'm using that version.

Also,is there is some way to get the registration key so if I uninstall it again(it is possible that I will need to do that again),to be able to use the same key again rather that registering again.

I'm on Windows XP

Edit:I'm getting this error even if I turn off the internet and was definitely not using anything newer than 1426 before
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:28:43 AM by vsub »

vsub

Re: You are trying to use an old version of the avast! setup
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:49:23 AM »
I just used the uninstaller in safe mode and then run the installer again but it was the same.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:40:15 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum. i suggest you try the latest version of avast and see if that could solve your problem.

download and run the uninstaller again and install the latest version of avast.

latest version of avast is 7.0.1474.

any other sequrity programs on your pc like a third party firewall?
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Dynaheir

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:50:15 PM »
Dunno, if it could help you, but you can try pick the version you want from here http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php if the newest one is causing you any problems.

Offline ky331

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
The older avast installer contains an "expiration date test":  if it's "too old", it won't install, and you get a message that it'll proceed to get the latest build from the website.   

If you're not satisfied with the latest build (for whatever reason), and prefer to use that old build instead:
a - reset the PC's calendar to a date when that build was still "current" --- for 1426, I believe that would be about late-March 2012.
b - Disconnect your PC from the internet, so as to be sure this old build wouldn't immediately search for and download any newer builds.
c - run the old installer.
d - when the installation was completed, open the avast interface to make sure that PROGRAM updates are set to MANUAL.
e - finally, reconnect your PC to the internet, so that avast would find the latest DEFINITION updates.

Note: If you've customized your avast settings, be sure to back them up first, so you can easily restore them afterwards:  avast interface, SETTINGS (upper-right), Maintenance tab, scroll down to SETTINGS BACKUP.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

vsub

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
Yes,that was the problem,I used the program RunAsDate on the installator and I was able to install 1426 without problems.

PS.I backed up my settings before removing avast.

Now about the other question...how can I get the registration key so I won't need to register every time I want to remove and then install avast again.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »
RunAsDate is a workaround but it would be good to have a "Do not check for latest version" checkbox in the Custom install menu.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »
Old program builds get probably "blacklisted" sooner or later anyway (forcing them to update), so installing old versions, using e.g. RunAsData, may be kinda useless.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
I can see both sides of the argument. You don't really want people to choose to install an outdated product. The only requests I currently have for an 'oldie' is for 7.0.1426 because it has the email message insertion settings which have been removed from later versions.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

vsub

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 02:57:18 PM »
RunAsDate is a workaround but it would be good to have a "Do not check for latest version" checkbox in the Custom install menu.

I always use Custom install on anything I install and as for the program update,I either keep it on ask or manual.
Only the definitions are set to auto.

I've never been a fan of the auto update function of programs,I always want to control what to be installed\updated.
The only exception is the avast definitions

The last time I installed newer version,I had tons of memory problems and blue screens.
Then on the next update,the memory problems disappear but along with normal blue screens,I started getting blue screens with fatal errors.
With 1426 I don't have any of those problems and that's why I use that version.