Author Topic: Avast and firewall  (Read 4398 times)

bp1md

Avast and firewall
« on: February 12, 2005, 01:42:35 AM »
Hi
Just gave nortons the boot for good and downloaded avast, 4.6 or something like that.

I got a pop up after booting nortons and before downloading avast and it said that I wasn't protected blah blah blah. I knew that.

Once I got avast in my puter the pop up showed everything was just fine except there wasn't a firewall. I don't like to use the windows firewall since it interfers with me going almost anywhere and especially if I want to play some online games.

Does avast have a firewall? If not, what firewall works well with  avast?

I am guessing my avast is working right. lol

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast and firewall
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 01:45:07 AM »
Avast is av software, not a firewall.
A router with hardware firewall is the best you can use.

But there are (free) software firewalls.
ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Outpost are just some of them.
Every firewall should work without a problem in combination with Avast.
Which one to use? The choice is yours.

chalomalo

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 02:25:12 AM »
Say Eddy,

The trial Avast version I used, had a firewall included. Once I upgrated to Avast Pro, it went away. I would assume Avast has its own firewall version at least that's what I was hoping.

Regards,
Chalomalo

ManFromOz

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 02:53:11 AM »
Say Eddy,

The trial Avast version I used, had a firewall included. Once I upgrated to Avast Pro, it went away. I would assume Avast has its own firewall version at least that's what I was hoping.

Regards,
Chalomalo

Avast Pro is still only an antivirus program, so no firewall.  Avast Internet Security has a firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 03:27:06 AM »
Say Eddy,

<snip>

Well seven years and ten months ago (12 February 2005) when Eddy answered, avast had no firewall feature in the free or Pro versions nor did it have an Internet Security suite either. generally not advisable to resurrect a topic of this age.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security