Author Topic: Windows 8 network issues with Avast. <-- Possible Solution  (Read 6030 times)

Sparxx

Windows 8 network issues with Avast. <-- Possible Solution
« on: December 02, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »
Hi folks, it's been a while since I didn't wrote on here, but some circumstances led me to do it again, well long story short.
1) Installed avast on Win8 Pro - all good
2) One week later suddenly I can not open websites(but there is network  as Skype, uTorrent and other programs that's not using port 80 are working)
3) Disabling Web shield  gave me roughly 30 seconds of web browsing(enough time to get on the avast forum ) then the browser started not to load pages again.
4) Disabling Network shield resolved the web connectivity problems.
5) Before the 3rd step I made a AvastSVC process dump : Sparxx_Win8_Network_issues ( in the ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/)

Archive password : sparxx
It's the second reinstall for me and still somehow it starts to block web traffic after a while.

Update: Patched like was said in the first post, this reenabled the shields and all is working now(after a restart of course), will  write if something changes.

Btw, i didn't got any BSOD's like other users are experiencing.

Update: Today(06.12.2012) my web connection is dead again, i don't get any bsods or errors, it just kills the traffic  through port 80 and until  I disable web and network shields I can't browse, and this is with the patch applied.

And i forgot to mention, this is a clean install of Win8 with only avast free as a security app. installed, win. defender disabled.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:50:33 PM by Sparxx »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Windows 8 network issues with Avast.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »
Hi Sparkxx, do you have to disable both Web *and* Net shield to fix the problem, or is disabling network shield just enough?

Could you, please, post the following file as well?
"C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\nshield.log"

Thanks,
Lukas.

Sparxx

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »
Well they need both to be disabled, but if the problem is already there the Network Shield can't be started already, the Web Shield can be enabled and disabled as i want but that don't matter.
The "nshield.log" is too big to be attached, so here is  my skydrive link : https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D5257BD8C24BDE84!3970
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:35:57 PM by Sparxx »

Sparxx

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
Well i don't know if that's the real solution, but for me it worked(even if I didn't plan this).

Like I said earlier my web browsing was blocked by *net and *web shields and disabling them was the answer, but after disabling I couldn't enable the *net shield so I was sitting in my corner and waiting for a fix from avast team )).
Meantime I have my needs and yesterday i installed the WP SDK with all the goodies that comes with it, well it all was by chance but before i started the sdk installation i was checking if i can enable the *net shield, well it didn't , after that i started the installation, it took like 30 minutes(web installer) but after a couple hours when i  just clicked the Start button on *Net shield's page, it started, then i  realized that the only change in the system was the installation of the SDK.
Now avast is working back like it should, no signs of slowdowns or web blocking, let's hope this is the answer( some missing libraries in the system ).

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »
Well i don't know if that's the real solution, but for me it worked(even if I didn't plan this).

Like I said earlier my web browsing was blocked by *net and *web shields and disabling them was the answer, but after disabling I couldn't enable the *net shield so I was sitting in my corner and waiting for a fix from avast team )).
Meantime I have my needs and yesterday i installed the WP SDK with all the goodies that comes with it, well it all was by chance but before i started the sdk installation i was checking if i can enable the *net shield, well it didn't , after that i started the installation, it took like 30 minutes(web installer) but after a couple hours when i  just clicked the Start button on *Net shield's page, it started, then i  realized that the only change in the system was the installation of the SDK.
Now avast is working back like it should, no signs of slowdowns or web blocking, let's hope this is the answer( some missing libraries in the system ).

And WP SDK is Windows Phone?

Sparxx

Re: Windows 8 network issues with Avast. <-- Possible Solution
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
Yes of course ))

Installed it from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35471
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:49:30 PM by Sparxx »

Strobe74

Re: Windows 8 network issues with Avast. <-- Possible Solution
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
I've got this same issue.

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Avast! Internet Security v7.0.1474
Def Ver. 121031-0

When i open chrome i can't connect to any website. I've tried a few things.

I disable all sheilds
   - IE works while disabled.
   - Chrome also works.

When i Re-enable sheilds, chrome works but pages are seem overly slow to come up. IE stops working at all.

I tried stopping the firewall. Both browsers work, when i re-enable the firewall chrome continues to work and IE stops working.

Reboot resets both browsers to not working by default. I don't know if that helps at all but wanted to let you know that this is happening to other people as well.