Author Topic: Windows8 avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #??  (Read 33345 times)

Offline OsFly

Re: Windows8 avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #??
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
It workled everytime for me when i used windows8, last time it costed only a few minutes after startup.
But i dumped bad windows 8, there to many problems and bad habbits with it. like restoring keys after
update and config settings that are complete gone. Besides applications crash. And as cream, avast thats still buggy.

BravoSakh

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 03:11:55 AM »
It is a known problem, try to disable Self Defense module in Settings > Troubleshooting and restart PC (maybe not one time restart needed) to see if these entries are gone.

This is not helping?
Yes. :) I believe that this is a bug and should be corrected to the levels of new updates.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »
Yes. :) I believe that this is a bug and should be corrected to the levels of new updates.

I am sure it will be  ;)

Strobe74

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »
Thanks for the suggested fix for this. This has been a problem for me for a while. I notice that i only have it when i'm running something like VirutalBox, VMware Player, or Hyper-V. I'm currently running windows 8 but i think i had this same issue in windows 7 but only when I was running one of those virtualization applications. Hope this helps track down the problem. Thanks again for the temp work around.

tquaglio

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 02:09:57 AM »
Thank you for your help, guys. I was having problem to connect my WiFi and found out a lot of NDIS Filter Miniport in my Device Manager. Tried to turn off self-defense and also checked the option that makes Avast to wait all the startup before starting itself.

My WiFi is OK again and I didn`t see any more NDIS Filter Miniport created. Hope it keeps that way. :)

Still, I hope Avast brings an update soon. As a paying customer I don`t want to have to make advanced setting from time to time to get the system working.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
Thank you for your help, guys. I was having problem to connect my WiFi and found out a lot of NDIS Filter Miniport in my Device Manager. Tried to turn off self-defense and also checked the option that makes Avast to wait all the startup before starting itself.
For me it started again...
The AvastEmUpdate.ini file is:
Code: [Select]
[Config]
LastAppliedPatchId=105
The best things in life are free.

alissonsm

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 02:22:13 AM »
After restarting, open Device Management by running Winkey+R then type "devmgmt.msc" (w/o quotes). So you have to click on "Check for hardware changes" or similar . This worked for me.
For the WIFI issue, I uninstalled the driver provided by vendor and checked again for new hardware.

tomlinm

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 05:17:23 PM »
I have recently acquired a new laptop, HP Pavilion g6-2244sa, running Windows 8, and this sits on a home network with my existing Desktop. I have Avast! Internet Security on both machines, but am encountering a repeated (almost daily) problem in that my laptop cannot use the WiFi.
When I look in Device Manager I find repeated "avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport # warnings - upto number 79 at the moment.
If I uninstall Avast! then reinstall it I can enable the wifi, but this lasts only for a short while, then the process repeats.
I have tried disabling self defense and loading avast services after but no joy - the problem still occurs.
Does anyone have a solution to this yet?

If this continues I will have to move from avast to a different product, which is a shame as I generally like the product.

Stevesie

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 04:38:08 AM »
I'm having the miniport driver issue on a vista laptop that I look after. Tried disabling the self defence module and clearing the entries in the device manager but it just happens again after some time. Any chance this issue will be fixed in an update?

athenagould

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 05:23:25 AM »
I am having the same problem & I too am now at NDIS driver #33.

Also using Windows 8 Pro, with avast version 7.0.1474.

I have to uninstall the NDIS miniports & troubleshoot the wireless adapter each time I want to use my WIFI.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
I am having the same problem & I too am now at NDIS driver #33.

Also using Windows 8 Pro, with avast version 7.0.1474.

I have to uninstall the NDIS miniports & troubleshoot the wireless adapter each time I want to use my WIFI.

Don't post twice the same. Just double the help effort. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=113925.msg889843#msg889843
The best things in life are free.

RazorLan

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 03:29:41 PM »
Are you still having the problem after restarting your system?  A while back, I was having problems with a different program because when it got buggy and I restarted my system, Windows 8 would happily restore everything to exactly the same buggy state it was in before shut down.  What I did that helped (although it might not do anything here) was to go into the control panel and select the Power Settings.  In that window, I clicked on "choose what the power buttons do" and then select the link that says "change settings that are currently unavailable."  Then you can turn OFF the fast startup option, which, in my case, allowed a cleaner restart.

robmac33

SOLVED --- Windows 7 & 8 avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #?? --- SOLVED
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 07:15:25 PM »
For all those having problems with NDIS drivers and or are unable to install firewall driver during installation I have found a solution. This solution works on windows 7 & 8.

On Windows 7

1. Boot into safe mode with networking by repeatedly tapping F8 just after turning on your system and select "Safe mode with networking"

2. Once windows is loaded start device manager by pressing start and type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter or go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager.

3. Open the properties for the NDIS driver/s that are causing a problem click update driver and select update automatically and windows should install the correct driver without access denied error, as avast is not running. Repeat the process for any other NDIS drivers or unknown devices that are actually the NDIS driver that have failed to install.

4. Reboot into normal mode and hooray avast should now function correctly with all features and no annoying missing drivers.

On Windows 8

1. Booting into safe mode is not as easy on windows 8 from normal operation from your start screen type "msconfig.exe" and press enter. Select the boot tab from the top and tick safe boot and select network from underneath press ok and reboot. If you can't boot into windows its a little trickier Windows 8 monitors the startup procedure and when problems are detected it automatically takes you to the new recovery mode. At this point you will be presented with the message: ‘Recovery. It looks like Windows didn't load correctly'. Select the advanced repair options and choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > ‘Windows Startup Settings' then Restart. Your computer will boot into an ‘Advanced Boot Options' screen in which Safe mode with networking can be selected.

2. Once windows is loaded start device manager by pressing start and type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter or go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager.

3. Open the properties for the NDIS driver/s that are causing a problem click update driver and select update automatically and windows should install the correct driver without access denied error, as avast is not running. Repeat the process for any other NDIS drivers or unknown devices that are actually the NDIS driver that have failed to install.

4. Reboot into normal mode and hooray avast should now function correctly with all features and no annoying missing drivers.

If this problem occurred while avast was OK and you have uninstalled, used awsclear and reinstalled and are getting the error "Unable to install firewall driver" Simply use system restore to restore your system to a point before you uninstalled and then follow the instructions above

Hopefully this will help anyone else who is at their wits end with this problem as I have been trying to solve this problem.