Author Topic: Just a general query  (Read 22472 times)

em1500uk

Just a general query
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
I did post on this forum several months ago asking about Avast's use with a dial up connection. I will need to change my anti virus program soon as updates for this one I'm currently using (Avira AntiVir 9) will be ending toward the end of this year, so in a few weeks. I have no desire to use their version 10 or 2012 as their forum seems to have been filled with problems regarding one or the other, plus both seem to be bundled with stuff I don't want, like a toolbar or something if I remember correctly?

Avast is the only other free anti virus program I know of as we use the latest free version on our PCs at work (we are a charity by the way). It seems to work well enough there, but it's a completely different operating system (Windows 7) and we use a broadband connection. I know I have to completely remove AntiVir off first before installing Avast and I have got instructions from the Avira site as to what to do, but it's after that that's a bit of an unknown as I've not changed between anti virus program providers before.

I just wondered if there had been any recent problems with the latest Avast version on Windows XP Home SP3? I only ask as I don't really want too much fuss in changing from one anti virus program to another. I'm not particularly very technical with PCs(!)

My system's hardware:
Windows XP Home SP3 (32 bit I think - can't see anything about 64 bit being mentioned in System Properties)
AMD Athlon II X2 260 Processor / 3.21 GHz / 2GB of RAM installed (I think?) but 1.75 GB of RAM is available / 500GB hard drive and 452GB is available

I do have a couple of other security programs already installed and wondered about the compatibility of those with Avast too...

Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 (yes, I know this is an extremely old firewall that's no longer updated, and hasn't been updated for quite some time, but it's worked OK for me for many years and it's been fairly simple to use, which I do like)
SpywareBlaster 4.6
Spybot S&D 1.6.2 (no Teatimer or SD resident installed - I just update the program once a week and use the scanner whenever I want to plus the Immunize feature)
These along with AntiVir 9 are the only security programs that I've ever installed on this PC (I got it as new in July 2011 when my very old one went up the creek!)

I have also seen that Visual C++ is needed for certain programs to run and I believe this includes anti virus programs, so probably includes Avast? I don't really understand what Visual C++ does, but anyway, I see I have this version of it on my system in my add/remove programs: 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.17. Do I need a new version of this (if there is one as Windows Update hasn't told me otherwise?) for the latest Avast to install and run properly?

Lastly, is there anywhere else that I can download the Avast installer from? I see that on the official site, it's based on CNet and I never like downloading anything from that site.

Sorry for the essay (and probably silly questions!)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Just a general query
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:28:35 PM »
Spybot S&D 1.6.2 (no Teatimer or SD resident installed - I just update the program once a week and use the scanner whenever I want to plus the Immunize feature)
spybot is waste of disk space.....  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=109902.0

replace it with Malwarebytes    http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Lastly, is there anywhere else that I can download the Avast installer from? I see that on the official site, it's based on CNet and I never like downloading anything from that site.
Filehippo.com

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:39:20 PM »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:50:15 PM »
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:20:01 AM by Pondus »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »
I think I downloaded Avast from webattack.com

em1500uk

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »
spybot is waste of disk space.....  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=109902.0

replace it with Malwarebytes    http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Filehippo.com
Thanks for that recommendation :) I have seen MalwareBytes mentioned before on other forums, but never really thought to go out and get it!

Oh and I'm a she by the way not a he ;) ;D

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:39 AM »
I used SyGate Firewall for a number of years and was happy with it.  It hasn't been updated for quite a while  and is considered abandonware since the publisher was purchased by (I believe) Symantec.  I moved to Online Armor Free Firewall  http://download11.emsisoft.com/OnlineArmorSetup.exe and was pleasantly surprised with it.  It's quite easy to use and can be updated thru it's internal updater.

When Avast had a special offer for AIS, I switched to it.  Otherwise, I'd still be using it.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline INGBEAN

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 12:58:52 AM »
I have also seen that Visual C++ is needed for certain programs to run and I believe this includes anti virus programs, so probably includes Avast? I don't really understand what Visual C++ does, but anyway, I see I have this version of it on my system in my add/remove programs: 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.17. Do I need a new version of this (if there is one as Windows Update hasn't told me otherwise?) for the latest Avast to install and run properly?

Hello em1500uk!

The Visual C++ component will be installed automatically by avast! itself, no problems are expected on this side.

The correct "direct links":
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe (avast! Free)
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe (avast! Pro)
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe (avast! Internet Security)

INGBEAN
Notebook A: DELL Inspiron 8000 | Pentium III (800 MHz) | 512 MB RAM | Win 2000 Pro (SP4+UR1) | avast! Free V7.0.1474
Notebook B: MAXDATA Pro 700T | Pentium III (800 MHz) | 256 MB RAM | Win 2000 Pro (SP4+UR1) | avast! Free V8.0.1497
Notebook: DELL LATITUDE E6530 | i7-3540M (3 GHz) | 4 GB RAM | Win 7 Pro (SP1, 64bit) | avast! Free V8.0.1497

em1500uk

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »

Hello em1500uk!

The Visual C++ component will be installed automatically by avast! itself, no problems are expected on this side.

The correct "direct links":
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe (avast! Free)
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe (avast! Pro)
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe (avast! Internet Security)

INGBEAN
Thanks for that, but I did notice that another user had an issue with the Visual C++ install in the Avast's set up here, although they say they're using XP SP2, so maybe that made a difference?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »
There would be no difference in the requirement for C++ with XP SP2 or SP3 or other OS for that matter as the requirement is needed for avast.

What may or may not be an issue is if C++ is already installed on the system or not. From your first post you appear to have the correct version as the build number is the same as mine except for the last to digits .17 mine has 4 digits after the 2008 Redistributable x86 9.0.30729.

That said if you didn't have the correct version then I would expect you to be getting C++ related errors displayed - this is commonly the 'Side-By-Side Configuration is Incorrect' Error.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

em1500uk

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
Is it wise to go out and find the latest update of the Visual C ++ version that I have and install it before attempting to install Avast? As I'm on dial up at home, I do have to go elsewhere to download installation files etc as mostly the file size is too large to cope with. As soon as I remove my current AV, I just want to install Avast there and then without having to go without having an AV on my PC for several days... I'd like to have all the necessary Visual C++ fille there to install separately just in case I encounter any problems.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 05:09:14 PM »
Avast should typically install visual C++ during the install which will be the x86 9.0.30729.4148 version, after installation if you perform a windows update then version x86 9.0.30729.6161 will be installed, once that is installed you can then uninstall all the visual C++ 9 versions prior to the last installed, you only need the latest version of each number.

Edited for the visual C++ numbers that I previously forgot :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:30:06 PM by craigb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 05:18:06 PM »
@ em1500uk
Well I honestly don't believe that will be a problem if your installation of C++ is the 2008 SP1 redistributable version, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to download it and save it to your hard disk just in case.

You need 2008 SP1 - this is the one:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update and you should download the x86 version (vcredist_x86.exe).

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
hi em1500uk,

I've noted two things:
  • No link was provided for vendor uninstall tools for a specific a/v vendor.  You can get these tools you need here:  http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/  As it appears you are planning ahead for this move to Avast!, that is only proper.  First step in removing the old a/v is to use Add/Remove to uninstall it, then reboot, and then run the vendor uninstall tool, and reboot once again. 

• You can get the version of Avast! where a listing is posted for all versions of Avast! here, including the Endpoint versions:  http://www.avast.com/download-software
    Here, at least, with this link, you can see what you are getting when you click without having to go to c|net downloads to get it (I avoid c|net downloads totally, always go to the vendor page only).

Suggest running the vendor tool at least twice to ensure all old remnants are removed, reboot after each time.  A run with sfc /scannow will not hurt either before installing the new a/v.

As for the C++ version, craigb and DavidR has you sorted out.

EDIT:  You can also ask here about the newest version of Avast.edu, which is free.  I personally do not know where this link is, but someone else here will know.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:25:15 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

em1500uk

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »
@ em1500uk
Well I honestly don't believe that will be a problem if your installation of C++ is the 2008 SP1 redistributable version, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to download it and save it to your hard disk just in case.

You need 2008 SP1 - this is the one:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update and you should download the x86 version (vcredist_x86.exe).
Thanks very much. It is only precautionary as I sat to save waiting for a few days.