Author Topic: Just a general query  (Read 22360 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Just a general query
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
You are correct.  The file available is an Avira registry cleaner.

I actually ran this cleaner on my system to see what it would find and do.  Many, many, registry entries found that had nothing to do with AntiVir 9.  See attached removal log below.

As this machine was once in corporate use, most entries found were in a Domain location, and also seemed to have many entries for rogue antivirus programs in there as well. 

For your purposes, only tick those entries for removal that have anything to do with AntiVir antivirus, and no other.  The point here is to cause no harm to your system.  Note also any reference to Avast! was not removed.

Either the avira_registry_cleaner_en.exe or the .zip file will work.  NOTE: (TIP)  Whenever a .zip file is run or extracted, the extraction process will always produce more files and folders, and can become a mess if extracted to the desktop.  Always create a new folder and place your .zip file inside that new folder.  That way, any extracted files/folders will stay within that new folder.  No mess and makes it easier for you to find it later.

If, in the past, you know of another a/v program or two once installed, use the singularlabs to finalize removal of these programs, if any.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

em1500uk

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »
Thanks for coming back to me. I'll have to look at that log you posted at work tomorrow as I've been responding via my smartphone at present. The instructions I got for manual uninstallation from Avira says to use that registry cleaner in safe mode, so that's what I'll do I think. I have used an older version of this registry cleaner when I moved from version 8 to version 9 a few years back on an old PC, but can't remember what the AntiVir entries looked like... I've only ever had AntiVir 9 on this PC, so I shouldn't have to look for anything else.

Going back to the recent tcpip.sys false positive last week, just to clarify, Avast won't automatically delete this or anything else without saying "do you want to delete this? Yes or no?" so that you have the chance to choose? Only ask as my mum uses this PC too and I'll have to explain this to her too.

em1500uk

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2012, 11:08:48 AM »
Just looked at that log you left yesterday. Blimey. There's a lot of stuff there. None of that looks relevant to Avira AntiVir 9, but hopefully the only keys it finds on my system is that of the program I've uninstalled.

em1500uk

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2012, 07:11:06 PM »
Hey! Just tried running that registry cleaner and I got the same error again so I gave up. I decided to run the Avast install exe and it's on my system now. It didn't ask for a reboot whilst I was installing anyway, but I'm going to restart the PC in a bit and see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:44:06 PM by em1500uk »

em1500uk

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »
OK. I've restarted my PC and system loading time seems alright at present. Browsing on Firefox does seem slower than when I was using Avira AntiVir 9, though I guess this is down to the cloud services and auto updates one assumes?

My connection speed on dial up has dropped now though from 45.2kbps/44kbps (which is good for a 56k modem!) to 37.2kbps at present. Not sure if that's got something to do with the awful weather outside (blowing a gale and very rainy right now) or cos of Avast's updating processes.

No alert about tcpip.sys being a bad thing and no notification of anything else bad on my system either so far. Obviously I've been a good girl for the past year and a half since I've had this newer system/hardware!

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2012, 01:16:25 AM »
hi

Working with you has been a pleasure.  Any problems with issues, come back here.

Suggest looking below at my sig to see if any of the security programs will work well for you whilst on a dial-up.  At least WOT (Web Of Trust) should be no problem for you.  As for the bandwidth issue, may very well be temporary, but Avast! does use some bandwidth to perform real-time protection for you.  The automatic updates are minimal, ranging from 200Kb to 400Kb, depending on when the twice-thrice daily main updates come in.  Streaming updates (the ones that come in between main updates) are much smaller, and occur much more frequently, up to fifteen times or so a day.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

em1500uk

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2012, 02:30:15 AM »
I thought I'd been left for a moment ;D

Thanks to you and all the other contributers here for your help. I'm sorry for all those questions as my worries may not have been necessary! From using it a bit earlier, it seems OK so far, although when I was updating AdblockPlus in Firefox, I then went to look at something else on the PC whilst it was sorting itself out and the screen froze, meaning I had to force shutdown myself and restart, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. I should've just left it to do one thing at a time. Wires must've got crossed somewhere I reckon.

Still find it odd that the Avira registry cleaner wouldn't work even though I'd installed that other VC++ file. The Avast install used it OK and I'm sure that registry cleaner was meant to work with it too. I did Google it and found a topic on the Avira forum where someone else had the same error and couldn't run it and they'd got the correct VC++. Very strange.

My connection speed went back up to 45.2/44kbps earlier and it's remained connecting at that speed now anyway so it must've been a blip before, either at my ISP or noise on the phone line or something.

I have seen WOT before, but never used it. I did use McAfee site advisor 4-5 years ago or so. It seemed good at first, but then went rubbish so I got rid of it and then never got a replacement. I have disabled Avast's web rep in Firefox itself but haven't uninstalled it. I'll go and take a look at WOT again. I use SpywareBlaster already and that works OK. That's a good small program and never a bother to update for me.