Author Topic: Mail not signed anymore  (Read 2405 times)

keithsplace

Mail not signed anymore
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »
I noticed my mail is not signed by Avast anymore, did something happen?
Or is just not signing the mail anymore.

Using Windows 7 Home Premium  6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Windows live mail    Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308)AVAST Pro 7.0.1474

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Mail not signed anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:31 PM »
that function is removed...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:19:27 PM »
The 'Insert Note into Clean Message' Option removed - This option is greatly depreciated in that it is easy to fake and these fake 'email scanned by XXXX (insert AV of choice) and found to be clean have been used in malicious emails in the past and who trusts that anyway, I certainly don't.

Why is it needed when if an inbound email is infected avast will alert, brand the email Subject and remove any infected attachment, etc. For outbound email it too would alert if infected/suspicious, etc. the only real benefit is promotion of avast. Who trusts it if the message is from other AVs, so why would they trust it is from avast!.

It really doesn't bring anything additional in the way of security, potentially the reverse as opening an email could actually initiate a remote attack. So looking inside an email for a clean note could potentially put you at more risk, it certainly isn't something I would rely on.

As an avast user (who previously used the outbound clean note to promote avast) I believe that the above comments are why avast! took the decision to end this option. Not to mention that in some email clients (Incredimail I believe) this option wasn't completely compatible.

####
If this is something you absolutely must have then you will have to do it manually:
-  You can do it by modifying the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (XP location) or C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (Vista, Win7). Note these folders may be hidden.
Find these values InsertNoteCleanMsgIn=0 and InsertNoteCleanMsgOut=0, InsertNoteInfectedMsgIn=0 now change the =0 to =1 (you only need to do that for the ones that you want to have the Note inserted). Now save the changes, the avast! Self-Defence Module will ask for confirmation, answer Yes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TomMelly

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:36:36 AM »
Hi,

I've been trying to edit EmailShield.ini to enable this option, but I cannot save the file. Avast isn't asking me whether it's okay - I'm just getting a warning from notepad++ that the file is in use by another program.

EDIT TO ADD

Sorted - I had to go to Settings -> Troubleshooting and then turn off "Enable avast! self-defence module"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:19:47 AM by TomMelly »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:07:58 PM »
Sorry, Notepad is the only text editor allowed by the self-defence module, for others as you found you have to disable the self-defence module..
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security