Author Topic: GUI / "old version" setup error on new laptop (Windows 7)  (Read 15437 times)

em.withrow

GUI / "old version" setup error on new laptop (Windows 7)
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:08:33 AM »
I just got a brand spankin' new laptop which has never had Avast installed on it before. I successfully downloaded the setup app (avast_pro_antivirus_setup), tried to run it, and got this error immediately following the Avast loading icon:

"Setup Selfextract: You are trying to use an old version of the avast! setup. Instead of using the packages stored in this file, the installer will download and use the latest setup from the Internet."

Hit OK, and I get this:

"Setup GUI: Setup GUI was not initialized successfully."

I've tried this with McAfee (which came with Win-7) running and not running, with no change. I also tried to download the setup afresh, completely deleting old versions each time-- I have reached my maximum amount of downloads for the Pro version.

Please help! I can't abide McAfee slugging up my system much longer.

matthew_abelardo

Re: GUI / "old version" setup error on new laptop (Windows 7)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:16:32 AM »
Did you uninstall McAfee before trying to install Avast?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 07:22:49 AM »
As mentioned above by matthew_abelardo - did you first remove McAfee before installing avast ? it must be uninstalled and not just disabled, once you have removed it then run the McAfee removal tool from here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ ( 22a in the list ) to delet remnants before installing avast again.

There is no limit to how many times you can download avast, the limit only applies to the amount of computers you've installed the licence on.

mstele

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
Same thing just happened to me with my brand new PC.  I have no prior anti-virus software.  I just built the PC yesterday.  What's the solution?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
Same thing just happened to me with my brand new PC.  I have no prior anti-virus software.  I just built the PC yesterday.  What's the solution?
Try downloading the latest version from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

kekbom

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »
Matthew, you just saved my day / probably a week.... ! :) Sticky McAfee (always trying to lure itself for free with other apps to your PC) malware SW was the problem why Avast didn't install (my fileSystem crashed) AND didn't install updates peviously  ! Norton is not an only foe here it seems