Author Topic: Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast  (Read 30352 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:44 PM »
Agnitum shouldn,t announce this news. It,s supposed to be a secret until Avast 8 (AIS8) came out.
How did you know this?

Hope this improve the firewall part of the suite and for sure it will. Userfriendly + advanced options, mobile network management (tethering).
Of course, the security improvement is welcome also (behavior shield).
The best things in life are free.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
I didn't read where it included proactive protection. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »
i think it could be good and bad, outpost is one of the best there is but has grown heavier is recent years, avast internet security is one of the lightest suite i use and feels that way, other products that also use the outpost firewall have become heavier and imo more sluggish.
<snip>

I don't know where you get this from as it isn't my experience, I have been using it from way back as outpost free v1.0 through to the latest regular release of Outpost Firewall Pro and have never felt it to be heavy.

Just a raw down and dirty example op_mon.exe the main process is only in the region of 21MB of RAM and I never see its cpu activity get particularly high.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Anarion

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »
This is good. The current firewall honestly isn't comparable to the best solutions out there.

i think it could be good and bad, outpost is one of the best there is but has grown heavier is recent years, avast internet security is one of the lightest suite i use and feels that way, other products that also use the outpost firewall have become heavier and imo more sluggish.
<snip>

I don't know where you get this from as it isn't my experience, I have been using it from way back as outpost free v1.0 through to the latest regular release of Outpost Firewall Pro and have never felt it to be heavy.

Just a raw down and dirty example op_mon.exe the main process is only in the region of 21MB of RAM and I never see its cpu activity get particularly high.
I've never used OF myself so I don't really know how heavy it is. 21 MB may sound like a small amount but Comodo for example uses way less (D+ disable, firewall mode only).

Although, the antivirus is far from being as efficient as their firewall part when it comes to CPU usage. Good firewall but AV part.... Far from Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 10:58:23 PM »
Well 21MB is small when you consider it to other applications, my anti-spam is running at 103Mb, thunderbird at 166MB, firefox at 511MB (and that is only one of its entries, dropbox at 50MB.

So it rather depends on your perspective of heavy, but RAM is their to be used as that improves performance so it isn't constantly swapping out to the hard drive pagefile.sys. For me the main thing would be CPU activity (nowadays RAM is cheap and plentiful) and that is negligible.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zfactor

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 02:45:13 AM »
has nothing to do with its ram usage or the space on the drive it takes up on the hdd. its the impact on some systems. it does tend to slow down some systems i have used it on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 03:05:52 AM »
As I said "For me the main thing would be CPU activity (nowadays RAM is cheap and plentiful) and that is negligible." so nothing to do with RAM or disk space, I have never had it slow my systems.

Whilst this XP Pro desktop system is of a reasonable spec, my win7 netbook is no racehorse and that doesn't suffer either.
Acer Aspire One, Win7 Starter (32bit), 2GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Atom N255 (1.5GHz dual core) CPU.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 05:35:10 AM »
Wonder, if we'll see the HIPS part..!? Well, time will tell... ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »
Wonder, if we'll see the HIPS part..!? Well, time will tell... ;)

If Avast added HIPS from Agnitum licenses firewall technology this would be good news, because it won't be as bad as hell when I've used Comodo FW from v3.14 right up to v5.5 it was a bloody nightmare and their HIPS was to heavy and over killed. I've bought a lifetime license for 3 PC's from Agnitum using Outpost Pro FW and their HIPS is far lighter than Comodo and it's easier to operate the FW if you understand what you're doing. Trust me Asyn you'll love it ;) and you can say good bye to you're old Comodo v3.14 FW in a trash can ;D

I congratulations to Avast for choosing Agnitum and not Comodo, I really be looking forward to see the Avast! 8.0 final release and feedback before I might get AIS on my new laptop well see as I'm happy with my lifetime license from Agnitum.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:18:29 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 07:03:48 AM »
Trust me Asyn you'll love it ;) and you can say good bye to you're old Comodo v3.14 FW in a trash can ;D

Let's see... ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 07:17:55 AM »
has nothing to do with its ram usage or the space on the drive it takes up on the hdd. its the impact on some systems. it does tend to slow down some systems i have used it on.
I've got it on two systems here and Outpost may add a couple of extra seconds to the boot time but once the system is up and running there is no reduced performance anyware.

Until the finished version is released all this speculation about performance issues is complete " Hoo Haa"  ;D

zfactor

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
performance aside ....just whatever avast does i REALLY HOPE they maintain the ease of use. i have this installed on a lot of systems for people like my mom and my aunt my mil, sister in law and MANY clients etc that HATE hips type pop ups and questions. please do not make it so it asks a million questions if the hips is integrated as these kind of average people will not know how to answer them. and these are almost all 3 year lic's they all have and they would remove it in a second if its anything even close to comodo type pop ups.

please keep it simple and IF a advanced user wants the pop ups allow them to enable them but they should be off by default. i have a LOT of clients who i installed ais for and i can honestly say this would be how more than probably 85% of them would feel. i would have no problem with them but i know how to answer them.

and PLEASE keep the basic app type control for the user who wants to simply block or allow an app without having to create rules etc.. and i agree i would MUCH rather outpost then comodo as said above
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:00:07 AM by zfactor »

LunarWolf

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
I know AIS is paid but what I meant is for example the current price of AIS is US$49.99 without the discount. Avast will get 100% of the revenue. But due to the fact that they license OF, and have to pay say US$10 per AIS sold, then they will only be getting US$39.99.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
Let avast worry about the costs, but I rather doubt the licensing fee will be that high per unit.

I have purchased Outpost Firewall Pro lifetime licenses at times over the years and they didn't cost me any more than an annual license for one and about 1.5 times when I purchased a 3 PC license.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »
Let avast worry about the costs, but I rather doubt the licensing fee will be that high per unit.

I have purchased Outpost Firewall Pro lifetime licenses at times over the years and they didn't cost me any more than an annual license for one and about 1.5 times when I purchased a 3 PC license.

+1 Same as me as well as I've bought a lifetime licenses for 3 PC, and I agree let avast worry about the costs.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip