Author Topic: Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast  (Read 30513 times)

true indian

Re: Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 02:08:22 PM »
LunarWolf,you can see on Agnitum page even AVG and many more vendors are in contract with them.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »
I think this is a good idea using proven technologies in a field where Avast is still learning.. Good move

hayc59

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
Right on avast! to great powers running as one
should be real NICE!!

true indian

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
First of Congratulations Avast, will really be looking forward to the Avast! 8.0 release.

Hope that Avast! will incorporate some of the technology in Zero Day Prevention into their Behavior Shield, making their Behavior Shield a little bit more User-Interactive and more active in fighting Zero Day Malware.

Avast is already on top with 0-day threats!? :
http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/AV/Virus60-DayStats

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
Personally i welcome the news, Outpost is a great fw. I am also one of those that are wondering about the HIPS part, will that get ported over to AIS as well ? That would be nice.

@true indian: No it's not on top and it never was, it's quite average at detection and quite bad at removal(unfortunately). Those tests that you link aren't really tests but more like statistics. Read more here:

Kevin Townsend article:
http://kevtownsend.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/shadowservers-new-anti-virus-test-suite-%E2%80%93-how-good-is-it/

David Harley(ESET senior research fellow) article:
http://www.scmagazine.com/shadow-boxing/article/211381/

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:05:50 AM by Darth.Mikey »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »
Yes, but still. If the Auto Sandbox would actually incorporate more identification behavior rules to identify malware behavior and same for the Behavior Shield, it would skyrocket far ahead of the rest. I'm sure of that and i know avast! team is capable of doing that but they just don't seem tow ant to make next steep. Not really sure why.

They should add and option for it and keep it disabled by default. So enthusiasts can use it and avast! would collect data from it to build the behavior analysis even further. Or something, i don't know...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 11:17:07 AM »
Would be really nice if we could get some developer input in this thread.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
Which is very unlikely since i haven't seen anyone around here for like ages. They only seem to reply to BSOD threads for the last half a year or so and thats it. Not cool...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Tetsuo

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »
OK, seems like we have to start a  'Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast BSOD' thread :D

Defence

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012, 12:14:47 AM »
I use avast home and comodo firewall, outpost is the best than comodo?

Dch48

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2012, 02:15:30 AM »
I'm not sure this is good news. I like Avast''s firewall the way it is more than any one I have ever used. The only thing missing from it is a way to automatically purge old obsolete rules. I absolutely hope that the AIS firewall remains as silent as it is and only prompts for new connections when set on Ask. I most definitely would be against the addition of any HIPS or HIPS-like nonsense.

Dch48

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2012, 02:18:51 AM »
Wonder, if we'll see the HIPS part..!? Well, time will tell... ;)
Please God no, no HIPS garbage.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 03:49:55 AM »
I disagree, Hips are an essential part of any top firewall and if put into learning mode for a couple of days when first installed you'll really not here from it, the Outpost hips are extremely intelligent, I only had one query on my system about the flight sim that it didn't know.

If someone is that against hips then that feature can always be disabled, you aren't forced to use it but you can benefit from it :)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2012, 03:55:16 AM »

If Avast include HIPS technology only from Agnitum because it far lighter than Comodo, Comobo HIPS is far to heavy and over killed with to many pop-up problems than Agnitum Outpost FW Dch48 tell me the truth have you tried Agnitum Outpost Pro FW. I know you had a lot of problems with Comodo HIPS when you're trying to play a computer game you were having a lot trouble, I have 14 computer games and they all worked behind the Agnitum Outpost HIPS 100% perfect with only 1 pop-up message per game and save it to allow all activity and you're done no more pop-up message.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:41:08 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Dch48

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »

If Avast include HIPS technology only from Agnitum because it far lighter than Comodo, Comobo HIPS is far to heavy and over killed with to many pop-up problems than Agnitum Outpost FW Dch48 tell me the truth have you tried Agnitum Outpost Pro FW. I know you had a lot of problems with Comodo HIPS when you're trying to play a computer game you were having a lot trouble, I have 14 computer games and they all worked behind the Agnitum Outpost HIPS 100% perfect with only 1 pop-up message per game and save it to allow all activity and you're done no more pop-up message.
I did try the free Outpost FW back when I was still using the XP machine extensively. I had problems with it but to be honest I can't remember what they were. It may have been the one that froze my machine completely when I turned the HIPS off.

Okay I found my post from back when I was trying the various free firewalls and had problems with all of them except Comodo.
I tried the free Outpost version with Avast! and had problems with total lockups on first access of a program when both Avast! and the HIPS component of Outpost were active. Disabling Avast! and letting Outpost create it's rules for the app in question, then turning Avast! back on eliminated further problems. It only happened with a couple of apps and I think one of them was uTorrent. I don't remember exactly because I had the same problem with PcTools and Online Armor but with different apps having the problem for each one of the three. I don't think Avast! likes to run alongside HIPS, at least not on my system. It's just one of the reasons why I have abandoned using any form of HIPS. I just don't want to deal with it any more.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:57:38 AM by Dch48 »