Author Topic: Cannot shut down Avast even in Task Manager?  (Read 16660 times)

mrcaptainpants

Cannot shut down Avast even in Task Manager?
« on: December 08, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »
I have a gaming computer with a switchable graphics card. When I try to switch to the gaming graphics card it tells me I have to close avastui.exe in order to complete this process.  Going into Task Manager and trying to shut down this process gives me the message "This operation could not be completed. Access is denied".  Disabling Avast does not solve the problem. I need to actually shut the program completely down for all of 5 seconds so that I can switch to my gaming graphics card, but there does not seem to be a way to do this.

Do I really have to uninstall Avast just to switch to my gaming card? Please tell me I'm missing something here.

Thanks for any help, folks! It will be much appreciated!

sun105

Re: Cannot shut down Avast even in Task Manager?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »

Go to setting then troubleshooting and uncheck enable avast self defense before killing the a*.exe through task manager.

mrcaptainpants

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 06:08:52 PM »
Sun! You are my hero! I can game again. Thanks for your help.  ;D

sun105

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »
you are always welcome.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:09:32 PM »
Going into Task Manager and trying to shut down this process gives me the message "This operation could not be completed. Access is denied".
of course.....that is what malware would do, so avast cant let it be that easy   ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:28:51 PM by Pondus »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »
Go to setting then troubleshooting and uncheck enable avast self defense before killing the a*.exe through task manager.
BAD ADVICE.
mrcaptainpants, if you are experiencing troubles, you can make an avast! exception. Never kill the antivirus (by the way, it's obvious that malware would do the same and this should be blocked...).
The best things in life are free.