Author Topic: Big problem with your software  (Read 8118 times)

russ5260

Big problem with your software
« on: March 03, 2003, 11:29:03 AM »
I just downloaded your software a few minutes ago on my computer and I now have a major problem with it.

I have windows xp with zonealarm running. The initial boot scan ran successfully and it then restarted my computer but now everything is frozen. I turned the power off and back on. It brings up windows, zonealarm runs and your program runs and then it just freezes. Nothing works to gain control of my computer. control-alt-delete, esc, nothing....  I can't even get to control panel to unstall your software. What's going on? What good is the software if I can't use my computer. Please help.

Russell Sherrard

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Big problem with your software
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 12:37:04 PM »
First of all, please make sure you don't have any other AV software installed (especially Norton). Multiple AV programs don't run together - their resident shields almost always collide...

You didn't tell us what OS you're using...

Anyway, for now, I'd suggest booting in Safe Mode and uninstalling avast from there - this should work. Then, it would be helpful if you could send us a list of applications installed on your machine - at least the "low level" ones / system utilities...

HTH,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

russ5260

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 03:27:59 PM »
Yes I DID say what operating system I am using. I am using Windows XP and yes I am using Norton Anti-Virus. The problem with getting to safe mode is it locks up so bad that I can't even get to that. I cannot get to safe mode to unstall. If I can just get this problem solved I can first uninstall Norton and then reinstall your software. I do not want to reinstall XP if at all possible.

Thanks.
Russell

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 03:49:19 PM »
If I can just get this problem solved I can first uninstall Norton and then reinstall your software. I do not want to reinstall XP if at all possible.

OK, you're saying that it doesn't work to press F8 just before the first Windows XP progress bar (on black screen) appears and run the safe mode?  ???

If you can get access to the disk (e.g. via the Recovery Console, or using a boot diskette, if your system disk is formatted as FAT/FAT32),  all you need to do is to delete the files aswmon2.sys and aavmker4.sys in the \windows\system32\drivers directory (the avast device drivers)...

Yes I DID say what operating system I am using.

;) sorry for that, I kinda overlooked it...

One more thing: while installing avast!, didn't you get a warning message saying that Norton is installed and that is it discouraged to run these 2 programs together?

Thanks,
Vlk
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 03:53:47 PM by Vlk »

russ5260

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 06:41:19 PM »
Upate... I was able to get into safe mode and I unstalled avast. I then went into control panel and uninstalled Norton and then reinstalled avast. I scanned my hard drive with no viruses detected. It is working like a charm. I have registered the software also. Thanks for your responses. I guess when my machine froze up I kinda paniked (sp?).

No, I did not see anything about the two programs not running together. Maybe I missed it.

Anyway, things are working great now. Thanks.

Russell

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 08:48:40 AM »
You're welcome. ;)

No, I did not see anything about the two programs not running together. Maybe I missed it.

What version of Norton did you have? Was it just Norton Antivirus or a suite?

Thanks
Vlk