Author Topic: Browsing folders in Windows and other menial tasks  (Read 5866 times)

Brade

Browsing folders in Windows and other menial tasks
« on: September 11, 2003, 07:30:00 PM »
I have been using avast 4 home edition a few weeks and I like it, especially for email. But I notice that the little blue ball spins every time I browse my folders and copy/move files (I use WinXP Pro), which is slowing things down and is a tad annoying. Any way I can change some options to make this stop? Thx.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Browsing folders in Windows and other menial tasks
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 07:47:34 PM »
Go to the resident protection settings (by clicking the blue ball icon), select (doubleclick) Standard Shield and check the second page of the following dialog. You probable have "Scan files on open" enabled, maybe even for all files. If it is the case, try to disable it, or limit the number of files to be scanned (put only exe,dll into the corresponding box or something like that). You'll see if it helps.
Also check the "Scan created/modified files" option below.

Brade

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 07:57:33 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. (at work right now)

Brade

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 01:02:46 AM »
Actually it wasn't that, but it was similar. The "scan OLE documents on open" is what caused it to spin each time I select a file in folder view. Hopefully it won't hurt too bad for me to shut it off. (I've got ZoneAlarm on at all times too.)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 09:16:54 AM »
Well in fact I'd recommend against shutting the OLE file scanning. You're effectively disabling the ability to block macro viruses!

What files is it scanning, really? (watch the 'last scanned file' field as you browse the folders).

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Sarge

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 09:38:24 AM »
System slow-down is the price you pay for your system not being constatly fragged by viruses. Don't like it? Buy a faster system.
No, seriously. Did you expect that Avast runs on Magic rather than Megahertz? Sorry to disapoint. Here, let me wave my magic wand for you. ::)
:Waves magic wand: How's that? Better?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 09:44:01 AM »
Vlk is right (as usual :)) - the "Scan OLE documents on open" is scanning only the OLE documents, that is .doc, .xls...
Of course I don't know how many of these files you have on your disk, but it shouldn't slow down your system that much...