Author Topic: Script shield bug?  (Read 12000 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Script shield bug?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »
Well following the instructions that were in pk's quote that I posted works for me in firefox 17.0.1.

Check the file names and properties in the avast folder and see that the date created/modified are around the date that you pasted them into the folder. They would also differ from the other avast .dll files in there, see image (click to expand), if they don't then the patch didn't work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ddm5

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
Well following the instructions that were in pk's quote that I posted works for me in firefox 17.0.1.

Check the file names and properties in the avast folder and see that the date created/modified are around the date that you pasted them into the folder. They would also differ from the other avast .dll files in there, see image (click to expand), if they don't then the patch didn't work.

Sorry about not replying last night, I had to go, But when I tried the patch, I.e adding them to the Avast folder, that's when it kept denying it, I done exactly what the post said to do, closed safezone, nothing else was running such as browsers, turned the self defense off, and etc.

Anarion

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
Sorry that hasn't worked for you, looks like you have some thing over and above just the script shield not working with your browser/s. Though given you are on windows 8 and on avast Internet Security (neither of which I have) that may were the real problem lies.

It might be worth looking at some of the windows 8 topics to see if there is a workaround/patch for that.

Have you tried stopping the Network Shield ?
Well, I only have Script Shield installed I'm using it as on demand. Network shield was causing inability (or über slowness) to access my router for example.

Yeah, I've double checked that the files were not replaced and that they were the patched ones.

ManFromOz

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 01:53:03 PM »

Oops!  I thought I'd uninsall/reinstall to get a clean installation, with help from RejZoR's unofficial cleanup tool, so file dates wont help me now.   ;D  Ah well,  I will try again soon.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
Sorry that hasn't worked for you, looks like you have some thing over and above just the script shield not working with your browser/s. Though given you are on windows 8 and on avast Internet Security (neither of which I have) that may were the real problem lies.

It might be worth looking at some of the windows 8 topics to see if there is a workaround/patch for that.

Have you tried stopping the Network Shield ?
Well, I only have Script Shield installed I'm using it as on demand. Network shield was causing inability (or über slowness) to access my router for example.

Yeah, I've double checked that the files were not replaced and that they were the patched ones.

I don't know if only having the script shied installed is going to work on its own. I believe that it needs the file system shield and the web shield to work in scanning web based scripts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ManFromOz

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 03:20:26 AM »
OK, so a new day a new attempt to add these files.

Question: With the .dll files - Do I "Copy and Replace", "Don't Copy" or "Copy but keep both files"?

TIA
ManFromOz

ManFromOz

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 04:23:36 AM »
Well, I've tried "Copy and Replace" but I'm told I don't have permission. No browsers open, Self Defense module disabled and even tried disabling Script Sheilds - no luck.   :(

ManFromOz

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 04:52:35 AM »
OK - for me it took Safe Mode, but yes the Script Shield is working in Firefox.   :)

I don't believe Script Shield is working in Chrome, but I can live with that.  The other shields should still protect me.

ManFromOz   :)

hake

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
It works for me on Firefox, Opera and IE9.

Is Opera now covered by Script Shield?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
It works for me on Firefox, Opera and IE9.

Is Opera now covered by Script Shield?

Click on browser protection and if you use Opera it should be there.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:10:53 PM by -midnight »

licky

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 11:02:55 PM »
Is script shield dependent upon another shield scanner in order to start? I was having trouble getting script shield to work for any of my browsers. Then I activated all the shields and script shield began to work. Then I deactivated the shields one by one until script shield was the only one left on and it still works. Then I deactivated script shield and turned it back on and now it works all by itself. I'm confused why it didn't work the first time until I turned all shields on.

edit: actually the script shield only works for IE. It still doesn't work for firefox or Opera even after I replaced the script shield files with the patched ones.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:06:13 PM by licky »