Author Topic: Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast  (Read 30354 times)

Hard_ROCKER

Re: Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »
Best FW&HIPS i have ever used personally is in what i am using on my main machine right now, Kaspersky IS 2013. Auto-rules cleanup, silent fw and hips and i mean truly silent. In 4 months of usage i have yet to see a pop-up and i have plenty of software installed over here. So out of the box it's incredibly easy to use, not even set and forget it's more like install and forget. No auto-learn mode, rules are for the most part  recieved from the cloud. Of course the advanced user can simply turn off all the automatic decision making if he/she so desires. If Kaspersky can make it so silent then so could avast!, i am sure of it.   :)

http://me.kaspersky.com/en/images/hips_whitepaper-55-75828.pdf

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
It's anybody's guess what/how Avast will apply the technology but I also have used OPFW Pro on both XP and now on Windows8 and do not feel bothered or overwhelmed with "so called pop-ups".
The Firewall has been excellent. ;) 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 07:59:51 PM »
To some degree it also depends on what OS being used and what settings the user has in Outpost:

I get more pop-ups on my XP pro system than on my win7 netbook and that is for the same program installations and updates, etc. All this despite having the same Outpost settings and customisations. Not that the greater number of pop-ups on the XP system, I still don't find them particularly intrusive.

Outpost also has the Simple interface in which the HIPS would probably be even less intrusive, so there are many things which avast can decide how to implement this licensing. Given that the avast firewall was specifically designed to keep user input requirement to a minimum, so I guess they would be looking at the same policy when integrating the Outpost license.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »
To some degree it also depends on what OS being used and what settings the user has in Outpost:

I get more pop-ups on my XP pro system than on my win7 netbook and that is for the same program installations and updates, etc. All this despite having the same Outpost settings and customisations. Not that the greater number of pop-ups on the XP system, I still don't find them particularly intrusive.

Outpost also has the Simple interface in which the HIPS would probably be even less intrusive, so there are many things which avast can decide how to implement this licensing. Given that the avast firewall was specifically designed to keep user input requirement to a minimum, so I guess they would be looking at the same policy when integrating the Outpost license.

Hi David.
The best of both worlds would be advisable, as with OPFW, the user can go with 'simple' mode or can initiate 'Advanced' mode for deeper/personal settings. 8)

Anarion

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »
If HIPS starts asking every about every thing you do, user will start to allow everything without really thinking. That's the problem with Comodo's approach (let alone it's heavy, their firewall part is really great and light though). What ever Avast plans to do, I hope that they do not include HIPS that as about every damn thing you do.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
If HIPS starts asking every about every thing you do, user will start to allow everything without really thinking. That's the problem with Comodo's approach (let alone it's heavy, their firewall part is really great and light though). What ever Avast plans to do, I hope that they do not include HIPS that as about every damn thing you do.

The outpost firewall doesn't ask about everything even in advanced mode (which I have mine set to), that is what we have been talking about and since avast isn't licensing comodo but outpost, its HIPS is a totally moot point.

As I have said the current thinking on the current avast firewall is not to require user intervention where possible. I honestly can't see them changing this thinking.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
OK, seems like we have to start a  'Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast BSOD' thread :D

There is already a couple of threads here on the forum, which could have easily be titled as you suggest. Funnily these haven't spread that much of a general enjoyment here, especially among win8 users. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »
Lukas, any real news that you could disclose? ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »
I guess I can disclose that the aswnet.sys driver running in 7.0.1474 is part of the "licenced" code we are talking about here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »
Thanks... Seems that our imagination went far far away... features, GUI, HIPS and so on...

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »
Thanks... Seems that our imagination went far far away... features, GUI, HIPS and so on...

and no Blue screens...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2012, 11:01:38 PM »
and no Blue screens...
No, sure not.
avast! is running very stable with your patch. Thanks.

Tetsuo

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »
OK, seems like we have to start a  'Agnitum licenses firewall technology to Avast BSOD' thread :D

There is already a couple of threads here on the forum, which could have easily be titled as you suggest. Funnily these haven't spread that much of a general enjoyment here, especially among win8 users.

I guess I can disclose that the aswnet.sys driver running in 7.0.1474 is part of the "licenced" code we are talking about here.

I guess this explains why some issues in Win8 related to the network drivers are taking so long to be properly solved...

Edit: details added
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:15:36 PM by Tetsuo »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
I guess this explains why some issues in Win8 related to the network drivers are taking so long to be properly solved...
On contrary, I think this step make it easier and faster. But, of course, I could be wrong.

Tetsuo

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2012, 09:12:20 PM »
On contrary, I think this step make it easier and faster. But, of course, I could be wrong.

Well, I meant those drivers being used in Avast (i.e. aswnet.sys) were not "created" directly by the Avast Team, so it'd be not so easy to fix issues independently and as quickly as possible.