Author Topic: Unable to uninstall Anti-Theft  (Read 22070 times)

titus483

Unable to uninstall Anti-Theft
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »
Hi,
after installing avast! Mobile Security 3 weeks ago I found out that this software takes too much of my very limited storage. Hence I decided to uninstall (Samsung Galyxy Ace = Android 2.3, German version). Uninstall of the AntiVirus component went well, but I'm not able to uninstall the Anti-Theft component. I followed the steps in another post here
(http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=111176.msg873952#msg873952):

Disable avast! Anti-theft as a device admin:
- Open 'Settings' from All Apps screen in your Android phone.
- Select the option 'Applications', then 'Manage Applications'.
- Select the option with disguise-name (custom application name) you chose for avast! Anti-Theft during the installation process.
- On the next screen 'Uninstall' and then 'OK' to confirm uninstallation of disguised avast! Anti-Theft.

but i get the message "Error during deinstallation" all the time. So this now useless application eats 5MB of storage which I want to recover. How do I do that?

Greetings, Titus

reinhardholzner

Re: Unable to uninstall Anti-Theft
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »
did you set avast anti-theft as device administrator? you need to remove that. by the way, Mobile Security has an Anti-Theft uninstall wizard built-in. :-)

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »
Hello,

this sounds like you have a root-installation of Anti-Theft and try to uninstall it in the way of a non-rooted installation.

to remove root installations of avast! Anti-Theft you can use the "avast! Anti-Theft removal wizard" (in avast! Mobile Security's Settings) or use the free tool "Titanium Backup".

alternatively we offer a uninstall.zip at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27553331/uninstall%20rootinstalltion.zip
unzip it and run uninstall.bat with your phone connected via USB to the pc. make sure usb-debugging is enabeled on your phone and the phone driver is installed on the PC.
If you do it on the PC where you rooted your phone you usually have these drivers available.

Werner

titus483

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »
Hello, thanks for the hints.
I can't make progress:

@reinhardholzner:
The problem is: I had removed avast! AntiVirus first - maybe the wrong decision and I should have uninstalled Anti-Theft first? How do I remove anti-theft as device administrator? I can't start it: there is so symbol available. The only place where I find it is in the Options menu of Android.

@Werner:
I downloaded the file several times: WinZip is not able to open it. Archive must be corrupt.

Titus

reinhardholzner

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
hi just open anti-theft go to system state -> click device administrator row it will send you to the correct screen.

titus483

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »
As I don't have any icon to start Anti-Theft I can't start it. I just see it in the list of installed apps - that's why I want to remove it.

danisanda

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 03:50:44 PM »
I have the same problem ,how did you solved??

binhvirile

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
Hi titus,
You may 'make a call' to you avast! AntiTheft by pressing your PIN and 'call' it. This will show AntiTheft dialog. Then, try removing avast! AntiTheft following instructions.

Many greetings,

Binh
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:00:23 AM by binhvirile »

titus483

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
Hi,
@danisanda: I have not yet solved it! I'm waiting for a correct version of the zip-file mentioned by Werner.

@binhvirile: Where should I enter my AntiTheft PIN? I uninstalled avast! Antivirus as such and there is NO ICON to start Anti-Theft! It just appears in the list of installed apps and I can't remove it there.

The only way I see now (but I don't know if it works):
1) Uninstall current Antivirus app.
2) Re-install avast! and avast Anti-Theft.
3) Use the avast! Anti-Theft uninstaller wizard which will hopefully manage to uninstall Anti-Theft.
4) Uninstall avast! Antivirus.
5) Re-install current Antivirus app (which is much smaller than avast!)

I'm not very satisfied with this solution - that's why I would prefer to run the batch-file mentioned earlier (if I only could get it undamaged).

binhvirile

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 12:36:12 AM »
Hi,

@binhvirile: Where should I enter my AntiTheft PIN? I uninstalled avast! Antivirus as such and there is NO ICON to start Anti-Theft! It just appears in the list of installed apps and I can't remove it there.
Well, use your phone dialler and call to your avast! PIN number (same as your call to a phone number). It will call avast! AntiTheft dialog. Then, remove AntiTheft.
Good luck

danisanda

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »
Hy my problem is more complicated than that.I have a Samsung Galaxy S Advance with 2.3.6 on it and i rooted my phone in hope to upgrade to 4.1.I was so enthusiastic that i completely forgot to uninstal avast antivirus and antitheft .Sow i rooted my phone i put my new update on it and with root maneger the app i did all the steps from here:http://androidadvices.com/galaxy-advance-steps-update-jellybean-411-firmware/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AndroidAdvices+(Android+Advices),including Wipe data/factory reset” & “Wipe Cache partition”.New firmware dind,t work saw at 90%it stopped.I turn the phone on and antitheft wants my pin nr,i go on settings and i don,t have the app,I tried to remove it with titanium backup(i open every app on it)i haven,t find it.Then with root app delete,full restore phone settings from the phone,reinstalling avast again completly then tried to remove it with avast antitheft removal.Then with this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27553331/uninstall%20rootinstalltion.zip and its saying DAEMON NOT RUNNING FAILURE EXIT.EXIT.Even with SDK Manager i tried but it doesn,t sees my phone. I really don't know what to try more.I want to completly remove from it and reinstal that i can control it from my pc.Thanks.

binhvirile

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »
Hy my problem is more complicated than that.I have a Samsung Galaxy S Advance with 2.3.6 on it and i rooted my phone in hope to upgrade to 4.1.I was so enthusiastic that i completely forgot to uninstal avast antivirus and antitheft .Sow i rooted my phone i put my new update on it and with root maneger the app i did all the steps from here:http://androidadvices.com/galaxy-advance-steps-update-jellybean-411-firmware/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AndroidAdvices+(Android+Advices),including Wipe data/factory reset” & “Wipe Cache partition”.New firmware dind,t work saw at 90%it stopped.I turn the phone on and antitheft wants my pin nr,i go on settings and i don,t have the app,I tried to remove it with titanium backup(i open every app on it)i haven,t find it.Then with root app delete,full restore phone settings from the phone,reinstalling avast again completly then tried to remove it with avast antitheft removal.Then with this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27553331/uninstall%20rootinstalltion.zip and its saying DAEMON NOT RUNNING FAILURE EXIT.EXIT.Even with SDK Manager i tried but it doesn,t sees my phone. I really don't know what to try more.I want to completly remove from it and reinstal that i can control it from my pc.Thanks.

Hi,
Please read some posts abow to see how  :)

danisanda

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »
I already tried all of this topic :(.

binhvirile

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »
I already tried all of this topic :(.

Have you tried dialling antitheft by calling your avast! PIN?

danisanda

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 11:40:46 AM »
Yes i tried like dies :1234 CALL <phone number>: Use the phone to call a number,it only saying the nr is not  available. :( :(