Author Topic: Persistent cache  (Read 3418 times)

nicoliani

Persistent cache
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
I don't know if it's a coincidence, but after I performed a Persistent cache my computer is slower and often hangs freezes. Using Firefox the same thing...

• Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache. If this is checked, avast! will check the persistent cache for information about files which have been verified as clean and these files will not be scanned again.

Store data about scanned files in the persistent cache. If this box is checked, information about any new verified clean files detected by avast! during the scan will be added to the persistent cache. This will slow down the current scan, but may increase the speed of future scans, if the first checkbox is checked.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Persistent cache
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »
How did you perform this persistent cache, it isn't something that you can Run as such, just enable it in the File System Shield (or in the on-demand scans). Enabling it doest set it of creating a cache, this happens as files that would qualify for the persistent cache are scanned, then the information would be added to the cache.

Can you give us some info on your system CPU, RAM and OS ?

The persistent cache shouldn't really impact on system performance only scans. Initially they may be a little longer whilst the persistent cache is built (not all files are included in the persistent cache). Once populate the persistent cache should improve scans.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nicoliani

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »
How did you perform this persistent cache, it isn't something that you can Run as such, just enable it in the File System Shield (or in the on-demand scans). Enabling it doest set it of creating a cache, this happens as files that would qualify for the persistent cache are scanned, then the information would be added to the cache.

Can you give us some info on your system CPU, RAM and OS ?

The persistent cache shouldn't really impact on system performance only scans. Initially they may be a little longer whilst the persistent cache is built (not all files are included in the persistent cache). Once populate the persistent cache should improve scans.

I see it's enabled in the File System Shield, now I disabled the FSS to see if it will change. This happened after a full scan where I enabled it in the scan settings...
I'm running Win 7 x64, Ram is 8 GB and CPU is AMD Phenom II X4...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »
Disabling the FSS could put your system at risk and isn't advisable, you could just disable the persistent cache, though I think this is totally unrelated.

The 'Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache' should be on by default I believe. However, when first enabled the 'Store data about scanned files in the persistent cache'  it would have an impact on the scan (as it says in the notes below the option), but that should be the sum of it. It shouldn't extend into the normal use of avast.

Your system spec is more than up to the task and really shouldn't see this kind of impact to the persistent cache, which as I said shouldn't extend into normal use.

How long have you had avast installed ?

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security software do you have installed (anti-spyware, firewall, etc.) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nicoliani

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 10:24:52 PM »
Seems the problem solved, my C: partition was running out of space, I was having 5 GB left and I had reserved space for the bin etc. Running Avast might have stacked up space too. Now I moved some files and OS runs well again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:33 PM »
That would certainly but a crimp on performance.